Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

No AP classes offered at school

TaraLoveTaraLove Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I attend a tiny school (class size = 18) in South Korea that does not offer any AP/IB/honors courses. All the students in a grade take the same classes. It seems like the vast majority of students here have taken AP tests. Will the fact that I didn't take AP tests hurt my chances of admission?

P.S. I applied ED to Cornell University's College of Human Ecology
Post edited by TaraLove on

Replies to: No AP classes offered at school

• Crimsonstained7Crimsonstained7 Posts: 1,123Registered User Senior Member
    Your guidance counselor sends a letter that talks about your school with all of that information. Not having any AP classes doesn't put you at a disadvantage because they will see that your school didn't offer them.
  • vonlostvonlost Posts: 13,629Super Moderator Senior Member
    Look at it this way: Doing well on AP tests can improve your chances of admission. Do your classmates do well on them despite no AP classes? It might especially impress schools if you do well.

Otherwise I agree with Crimson.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,720Registered User Senior Member
    Crimson is correct. Colleges want you to take the most challenging courses your school offers and do well in them. They will evaluate your grades based on what courses your high schools has.
    Not all schools in the US offer AP courses, my son's did not and their graduates are not having trouble getting accepted into top schools.
    Note that the question wasn't about the school's offering AP classes, but rather about the student's taking AP tests. A Korean school's regular classes might be at the U.S. AP level.
  • IviesArentForMeIviesArentForMe Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Don't worry, they know that not everybody had the chance to take AP classes. They won't think that you were lazy. Just let your counselor explain that to the universities, and you will be fine. I've heard about many people who got in to top places despite not having the chance to take AP classes.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,720Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, I thought when he said "students here have taken AP tests" that "here" referred to the U.S. (because that is where CC IS) and that he was saying US schools have AP but his school doesn't. I read it a totally different way.
    Maybe the OP can clarify what they meant?
    ^ Now I think you're right!
  • TaraLoveTaraLove Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    By "here" I meant the College Confidential community, so I guess I was referring to students in the U.S.

I was wondering whether not taking AP tests in an environment that does not provide AP classes would negatively affect me.
  • glidoglido Posts: 5,030Registered User Senior Member
    No worries. Colleges want to see you challenge yourself with the courses that are offered at your school. If your school does not offer APs, it will not be held against you.
    And not taking the tests won't hurt you either!
  • TaraLoveTaraLove Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your input!!