Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Given the option to send this, would I benefit?

XinzeLiXinzeLi Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I've ED'ed to RPI and my counselor told me that they would look at my first quarter Senior year grades if they're on the fence with my decision (Because I have a pretty poor academic record/Pretty high SAT).

They probably think I'm a lazy bum and my Senior first quarter would be my chance to show that I've changed. The only issue is.. I was still kind of a lazy bum the first quarter.

Anyways, should I send these grades in hopes that it'll help? Would these be good/bad for a B+/A- school like RPI?

SPANISH 4 HONORS: 99
MACRO ECONOMICS: 93
PHYSICAL EDUCATION: 98
AP CALCULUS AB:84 <--- I'm majoring in engineering so this is what scares me
COLLEGE CAREERS & COMMUNICATIONS: 100
AP CHEMISTRY: 90
AP US GOV + POLITICS:84
WAR IN 20TH CENTURY: 96
ENGLISH HONORS: 86-90 (may change randomly)

Overall: 92-92.5%

This is still quite a bit higher than my overall high school gpa of 89.71%, especially since I've only taken one AP class prior to senior year.

It continues my upward trend, but is it good enough, or will the Math grade kill me?
Also to add: I've had low 80s in math all 4 years of high school, but a 770 math on the SAT. So my Calculus course seems to continue my grade pattern in math, but only at a higher level.

TLDR: Will sending this benefit my application to RPI? Grades are higher than last four years, but math is still pathetic as usual.

Edit: I got a 1510 on my SAT (770m, 740R) so the only thing blocking my route into RPI is that pathetic high school transcript and class rank (47th percentile).

But if my grades were like this throughout high school, I would be in the top 20% which is definitely good enough for RPI.
Post edited by XinzeLi on

Replies to: Given the option to send this, would I benefit?

• BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,725Registered User Senior Member
    If it continues your upward trend then have them sent. You do know your guidance counselor sends them not you?
  • XinzeLiXinzeLi Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    @Bean:

Yes, but I can ask him to not send it if I don't think it'll be beneficial. It's not an official half-year report, but just supposed to be another "swayer" to help the admissions office make a decision.

What I'm asking is would these grades be beneficial when sent, they are quite a bit higher than my normal grades, but the math is kind of pathetic, especially in such a math and science based school. (Thankfully I'm holding on in AP CHEM)
    I don't see why you think it would hurt you if it raises your overall GPA. It's not like your math average is a C or is inconsistent with your other math grades that they will have seen already.Besides, you are doing well in AP courses and since you only took one AP before it is good to show that you can handle AP class material.
    What does your guidance counselor think?

Also, a GPA of 89.7% is very good. Why is your class rank so low relative to you GPA? Is it because you took a lot less AP courses than everyone else?
  • XinzeLiXinzeLi Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    @Bean: Yes. I've only taken one AP course Junior year (US History, 90 average, 5).

My rank is low due to the fact that I had a C in honors English freshman year (No Cs ever since), and low grades in math. The only classes holding up my grades were history courses, sciences, and electives.

It's also strange, my friend with 94% GPA got top 35%, another with 95% GPA got Top 25%, and one more with 93% got top 15%. It seems like my school weighs the amount of APs heavily, it's a pretty competitive school.

Another edit: I meant top 47%, so I was past the (sad) top half benchmark.
    Yes, your school does seem competitive. RPI will know that based on the school profile that gets sent along with the transcripts. So they will understand the context of your grades.
    Good luck!