Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Supplement asks you to list all schools to which you are applying

chinabluechinablue Posts: 742Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I am looking at a supplement that asks you to list all schools to which you are applying. I am not sure if it is proper to ask. What do you think?
Post edited by chinablue on

Replies to: Supplement asks you to list all schools to which you are applying

• ccuser95ccuser95 Posts: 560Registered User Member
    If it asks, then u probably should....
  • MandoggyMandoggy Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    answer the question. just be honest.
  • ngongsngongs Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    Son decided to apply elsewhere when that question arised.
  • InpersonalInpersonal Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    I also intentionally did not apply to schools that asked this question.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,391Registered User Senior Member
    File this one first. You don't have a final list yet, so how can you share it?
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Posts: 6,086Registered User Senior Member
    My guess is that the school just wants to accumulate data to understand which other schools they are competing against to attract students, rather than intending to use that information against u.
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,658Registered User Senior Member
    Answer whatever you like, they are probably just collecting admissions data to see who their competition is, but it's none of their business.

Put down a couple of colleges at the same selectivity level, and maybe a couple above and below. I would recommend NOT implying that they are your safety, just in case they are actually concerned about interest.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,871Registered User Senior Member
    GMTplus7 wrote:
    My guess is that the school just wants to accumulate data to understand which other schools they are competing against to attract students, rather than intending to use that information against u.

Or they want to see if they are the applicant's safety (i.e. if all of the other colleges are more selective ones), so the applicant is unlikely to attend if admitted. In this case, in the name of yield protection, they are more likely to reject or wait list the applicant.
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,974Registered User Senior Member
    Posts 4-9 suggest a more nuanced and strategic way to answer this question. Why? Because nothing good for the student can come of it.

Frankly, it's none of the school's business. But I would follow entomom's advice -- list 1-2 schools of similar selectivity and maybe 1-2 of lower selectivity. No need to spill all the beans.

Data collection? Pfft. Not at my expense!
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    This is your application designed to get you accepted. The risk as others have pointed out is listing several other schools that are higher rated and the school seeing they are most likely your safety. For a school that practices yield control this can work against you. List 1-2 peer institutions, 1-2 below, and one above. You want them to see you view their school as a match. I would say that not applying to a school that asks for this data is extreme IMO. Just answer in a way that benefits you, not the school.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,871Registered User Senior Member
    blueiguana wrote:
    Just answer in a way that benefits you, not the school.

However, there can be an ethical problem if the list is not completely truthful -- e.g. if it asks for "all" other schools to which you are applying, but you leave some out, that is not completely truthful.
    blueiguana wrote:
    I would say that not applying to a school that asks for this data is extreme IMO.

If the school was intended to be a safety, it is best to find a different safety instead (and perhaps drop the school in question if it is not more desirable than the actual safety).
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,391Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^^ That is why I recommend filing the application first, before you have even finalized your list. Then you don't have to feel bad about not feeding them any data at all. If you would ever be asked (and why would they anyway), you can safely reply, "My list wasn't final so how could I give it to anyone? And, by the way, why do you ask about this?"

Will the application not process if you leave the space blank? Then try "undecided", or "Why do you ask?"
  • mikemacmikemac Posts: 7,363Registered User Senior Member
    I'd echo the advice you've seen; list a few schools slightly above, peers, and slightly below this school that you could plausibly be applying to. If this is innocent data collection there are plenty of ways they could collect this info anonymously. If not so innocent it could be used to reject you (if they think they are a safety and you're unlikely to attend) or affect your financial aid (if they realize they are your reach and predict you will dig deeper into your pocket if accepted).
  • daisychaindaisychain Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    What's wrong with saying "undecided"? Is there really a risk that colleges would hold this answer against the candidate?
  • CollCounsCollCouns Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    One of my seniors had this question on an early admission form this week, and I advised her to say "this is my only early application." That was a truthful answer and furthermore, there was almost no space to write a list anyway. It was a safety/low-interest application for her. They may sort that out, but I believe her response put her at an advantage. She isn't certain of the rest of her list at this point though she knows a few schools. Should she just have listed those few? I don't know.

This used to be a standard question but no longer. Competitive schools don't tend to ask. I don't think it's any of the school's business, but it's their application.

Most colleges have no problem identifying your application as a safety, so I doubt if that's the main point. Determining their position in relation to other schools (market research) is more likely. It makes me uncomfortable. I like the suggestion of saying 'list not final', and maybe adding 'except for XXX (an in-state public university, if that is applicable).