Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

resume mistake?

ownagingownsownagingowns Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
hi, i was just looking at my submitted resume, and i noticed that for my varsity sport, i put down 17 weeks because the example resume i saw said "sports season = 15 weeks", but our season usually goes longer than normal because of state matches so i added in another 2 weeks, when it should still be 15 weeks (now that i think actually think about how many weeks i did the sport). knowing the fact that i do around 15-20 hours per week, should i contact the college? or is it not that big of a deal and should just let it be to not draw attention to mistakes?

i was thinking that if i did leave it be, how believeable is it that i did 17 weeks of a sport during school (school year is like 40 weeks...)
Post edited by ownagingowns on

Replies to: resume mistake?

• MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    Not that big of a deal. Stop worrying. ;)
  • ownagingownsownagingowns Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    are you sure? i know 2 weeks doesnt seem like a lot, but 2 weeks = at least 30 hours..
  • MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    I think that plenty of kids do sports all year around. I am in lacrosse country here. You may have weeks where you went to camps and you spent more time. I do not think it is an issue at all. Admissions people are taking a quicker look at your app than you think.
    i know i might be overblowing this situation, but i dont want to present myself to adcoms that im a liar. what if they find out? i really dont want to be stressed about this, but 17 weeks seems like such a specific number, and that i put it there on purpose (which i did, but didn't actually think about it)
    bump can anyone else who has had this kind of experience put some feedback?
  • barrk123barrk123 Registered User Posts: 3,461 Senior Member
    You are fine don't worry about it
    sorry to sound repetitive, but does 17 weeks of a high school sport seem fishy? one of the months has 5weeks, so its basically 4 months. doesnt it seem weird that i would be doing a 15 hr activity for 4 months?
  • imwishing73imwishing73 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Like everybody said, it's really not a big deal at all. They just see a number. Don't sweat it!