Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How much will bad sat score exacerbate my situation?

kristiunakristiuna Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
Hello !

I will state here my stats:

1)very good school transcript- 97/100
2)Very good EC ( Research, Club president, volunteer 400 h, 2 varsity teams)
3)Essay impressive( i know essay is very subjective,but let's assume)
4)good sat subject test scores: 750,740

but my sat score is low- around 1900-2000

So how do you think in which category i may be placed?

(International student from Ukraine)
Post edited by kristiuna on

Replies to: How much will bad sat score exacerbate my situation?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 20,818Registered User Senior Member
    You are an international student. Did you take the TOEFL? How much can your family pay each year?
  • kristiunakristiuna Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    toefl 94

I need full ride.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 20,818Registered User Senior Member
    Start here: EducationUSA | Study Abroad, Student Visa, University Fairs, College Applications and Study in the U.S. / America

Then follow the links to find the contact information for the advising center closest to you. The counselors there can tell you which colleges and universities here have admitted students like you in the past few years, and whether or not those students were able to get the kind of aid that you would need.

You also should read through the threads in the International Students Forum here, to get more ideas about finding financial aid. Look for anything posted by b@r!um who is one of the experts on that topic. She will have good ideas for you.

In the Financial Aid Forum there are several threads on the topic of guaranteed merit-based aid. Some of those scholarships are open to international students. I don't know if your SAT score is good enough for a full-ride, but take a look at those threads anyway.

Good luck!
    I read and checked nearly everything. I am not novice here.

Could you answer based on your experience to college admissions, how much will sat scores affect my application?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 13,406Registered User Senior Member
    Need the SAT scores for M and CR. Your probable major and some target schools.
  • muckdogs07muckdogs07 Posts: 1,166Registered User Senior Member
    What is your SAT break down, CR + M? You may get cut some slack for a low CR due to 2d language issue (or in UA a third language behind Ukranian and Russian). What particular schools are you looking at? Have you worked out visa issues with UA government (they can be tough on this)?
    I am majoring in Economics. Target: some top colleges like Amherst college and Lafayette college

Sadly i still do not know my sat scores,so i am predicting.Pretty nervous you know :(
  • cortana431cortana431 Posts: 5,015- Senior Member
    What subjects did you score a 750 and 740 in in SAT II or are those estimates too?
    I'm guessing your critical reading and/or writing for SAT I is pulling you down?
    Biology M
    and Math level 2

No i know their results :)

guys,could you tell me if my other qualities can outshine sat score?
  • cbamengelcbamengel Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
    Your SAT score is high enough to maybe keep you in the conversation at very competitive colleges, but you'd benefit tremendously from bringing it up to at least a 2100. Do you have the opportunity to retake the SAT before regular decision deadlines? Have you attempted the ACT?
  • muckdogs07muckdogs07 Posts: 1,166Registered User Senior Member
    Being from UA will probably help. UA has a respected school system and yet is not a top producer of undergrads in the US. If you are looking for money, here are a few LACs that give dollars to internationals (per USNWR) -- Skidmore, Amherst, Trinity, Bates, and Williams.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 40,405Registered User Senior Member
    Be sure to read the FA options for internationals. When you say "full ride" do you mean you expect to pay zero?
    Thanks for being solicitous.

I can pay around 2-3 K $ unfortunately,but not more...

it's very interesting what score i will get exactly.
  • luluandleoluluandleo Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    Bates is also score optional, which means they'll only look at your grades and ECs.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,461Registered User Senior Member
    Dartmouth College is need blind for internationals