Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do colleges see my GPA from each year or just the final Cum.GPA from all years?

PicktownPenguinPicktownPenguin Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I plan to apply to the University of Cinci at the beginning of my senior year (next year). My cumulative GPA is bad (2.82 currently) but it is on the rise. I took French in 8th grade and got a D (1.0 grade point I believe). And then from freshmen year up to the middle of my sophomore year I was getting a GPA between 2.5 and 2.9. I used to be really stupid, but this was because I never knew my full potential because I didn't try hard enough. So on my 3rd grading period sophomore year I got a 3.45, 4th grading period I got a 3.79. 1st grading period of my junior year(this year) i got a 3.958. This 2nd grading period I'm gonna work my butt off to get above a 4.0. (This year I am in one AP and one honors)

As you can see I have been showing the potential of the student that works hard. I am worried that colleges will only see me total cumulative GPA from all 4 years plus the french in 8th grade. which may seriously bring down my chances. If they see my GPAs from each year, they will know that I am improving and that I am serious about my education.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by PicktownPenguin on

Replies to: Do colleges see my GPA from each year or just the final Cum.GPA from all years?

• T26E4T26E4 Posts: 17,475Registered User Senior Member
    They will look at your entire HS transcript which will show your negatives AND your positives along w/your culm GPA. They will weigh it according to what they deem necessary. Perhaps sit w/your Guid Counselor and craft a good list of alternatives to U Cinci too. Good luck to you.
  • kittycatwindowkittycatwindow Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    They will look at all of it, but I'm sure they will be very impressed by your improvement. 1.0 to nearly a 4.0? That's amazing! It shows that you realized how important it was to improve, and you took the initiative to go above and beyond with that improvement. So many people would just get around 2.5-3.5 and consider that a big enough improvement, but you went the whole nine yards by getting to 3.958 (which really rounds to 4.0). Plus, you picking up some more difficult courses like AP and honors shows that you don't just want to take the easy way of getting a 4.0 with all low level classes; you really want to challenge yourself while trying to maintain that high GPA. I'm sure such a turnaround will get you some positive attention.

Plus, your junior year is most important to most colleges. The fact that you stepped it up so much, especially this year, is great.

I agree with T26E4-- you have to find some backup schools. Going into the application process with your mind set on only one school is very dangerous. (Of course, you can love one school more than the others, but you have to think of other schools that you wouldn't mind falling back on in the chance of a denial from your top choice.) Some guidance counselors don't help at all, but some do. Go down and talk to yours. Maybe he can help you think of some other colleges!

Good luck!
  • PicktownPenguinPicktownPenguin Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks guys. Yeah I have already planned a couple of other options. Cinci is just the school I'll apply to early because its the only Ohio school I would want to go to besides maybe Kent State. I'm also looking into Minnesota, University of Rhode Island, U of Tennessee, and Florida Central.
  • rw2013rw2013 Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think you mentioned this, but why would colleges see any of your grades from 8th grade? Most schools only require a high school transcript- unless it's different where you live, 8th grade isn't considered high school, that's still middle school. Either way, I have to echo T26E4 and kittycatwindow. Colleges will see your improvement and upward trend, and they'll be impressed by that. Keep working hard, you're on the right track.
  • mirandasternmirandastern Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    Colleges only look at the grades from 9th to 12th grade. Middle school grades are irrelevant.
  • yesdeeyesdee Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    If a HS level course is taken in MS, eg ALG 1, it shows up in HS transcript and is considered for HS gpa calculation. College will consider that course grade.
  • SikorskySikorsky Posts: 5,851Registered User Senior Member
    rw2013 wrote:
    ...why would colleges see any of your grades from 8th grade?
    yesdee wrote:
    If a HS level course is taken in MS, eg ALG 1, it shows up in HS transcript and is considered for HS gpa calculation. College will consider that course grade.

There is no standard for this kind of thing. Different school districts and different private schools handle this matter differently. My kids' school listed "credit" for Algebra I, Geometry or first-year French or Spanish taken in middle school, but not grades; obviously, without grades, these courses couldn't be used for calculation of GPA or class rank. From hanging out on CC, I have learned that other schools have different procedures. So colleges will see whatever your particular high school sends.

Similarly, I don't think you can say that "all colleges" do any single thing when evaluating the transcripts of students who've taken high-school level courses while still in middle school. But I would agree with the others about the OP's case: most colleges and universities will notice that you've become a much more serious and successful student during high school, and realize that they'd be admitting a person much more like the successful Picktown Penguin who's making high grades, and not the slacker Picktown Penguin who got a D in French in the 8th grade.

I agree with T26E4 that you ought to talk with your guidance counselor. In addition to discussing alternatives to UC, you can also ask him or her to highlight the improvement in your transcript over the years.
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    First, you need to ask your GC what your transcript will look like. Do they actually include your class from 8th grade, or do they just include credit? Do they even list it on your transcript, as it is not a class taken in high school? Many school systems have students complete the "first year" of a language in middle school, but don't include it on the transcript - much as colleges will sometimes offer placement out of an introductory class even if they don't offer credit.

Your next step is to find out the policies of the school where you will apply. Some will recalculate your GPA, based on their own formula - the 8th grade class would not be included, but they also might not include electives and phys ed. Still others will recalculate using only 10th and 11th grade, dropping anything taken in 9th grade, as that is a transition year (too bad for kids who did well as freshman and had a dip as sophomores).

Lastly, if you current GC is the same one who will complete your school's portion of your college applications, a conversation now could help set you GC up to write the recommendation with this in mind. Your transcript will include all your grades throughout HS, so anybody reviewing it will be able to see the trend, and that will be to your benefit. Most do not have a hand and fast cutoff for GPA, particularly when GPA at one school cannot really be compared to another. They look for patterns and trends.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 20,224Super Moderator Senior Member
    Can your family afford all those OOS schools?
  • PicktownPenguinPicktownPenguin Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    The French I took was a high school level French 1. It will definitely show up on my transcript. And thanks for your input guys!

And yes I looked into the oos tuitions of the schools and my family will be able to afford them.