Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is GPA really a killer?

lynacclynacc Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
My GPA overall is 3.85 but I'm doing really bad this semester with this calculus class. Ill probably get a C, which will be my first C ever. Is this really bad? I'll transfer to a state university next year and they will look at the courses that are related to my major only (engineering). And I've recalculated my GPA taking only science classes into account and it is now at 3.61 but if I don't drop this calc class, my GPA will be lowered to 3.54. Is this really bad for a pretty well known university in my state? I'm really worried. How important is GPA? Is it really a killer for admission? If I drop and retake next semester, I'd do better. The professor I'm taking with right now is horrible and I just couldn't stand it. Too unfortunate .. or would it be a good idea just to keep goin with this and when applying, could I explain why my grade isn't too good? Would they consider that? I don't know what to do.
Post edited by lynacc on

Replies to: Is GPA really a killer?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,815Registered User Senior Member
    Have you met with this instructor to ask for help? Have you been to the tutoring center on your college campus to get some help from them?

Calculus is challenging, no doubt about that, but if you get a bit of guidance and then sit down and do every single problem in the book over and over until they make sense to you, you can pull that grade up.
  • lynacclynacc Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure I could've done better but at this point its over. I have only one final exam left. I'm taking an evening class and my instructor just gives lots of hw. And he chosses which problems he gets to grade. Sometimes I felt so proud having done all 60 problems but then he said, nope we're having a quizes today. I have never hated calculus classes. Actually I love math but this instructor just makes me come to the point that I wanna say I'll give up. His tests have nothing to do with what he teaches... God, I can just go on and on about this...
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,815Registered User Senior Member
    You are going to have to take more math aren't you? Do you feel that you would be able to move up to the next course with what you have learned in this one, or do you think you won't be prepared for that? That is the question you need to address.

If you know that you are going to need a re-do so you are ready, then find out if you still can drop the class and have it recorded as W Passing, rather than W Failing or an F.

If you feel that you are going to be able to continue into the next course, then talk this over with your advisor. One C may not be that big a deal depending on where it is you plan to transfer, and it may make your life easier to just hang in there through the end of the semester.