Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

International

sm96ITESMsm96ITESM Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
Hi, I'm a high school junior from Mexico and I will be applying to colleges in the U.S.
Just one question, I'm in the IB program and my advisor told me, after I asked, that being in sports is not important for international students but rather I should focus solely on academics (I want to major in applied mathematics and am aiming for HYPMS and Williams College) and somewhat on leadership extracurriculars. So are sports not necessary? If they are, I can join the tennis team this school year. Thanks in advance :)
Post edited by sm96ITESM on

Replies to: International

• marvin100marvin100 Posts: 1,195Registered User Senior Member
    There's some truth--sports for internationals are of little importance unless you have the skill to play for a varsity team in college. That said, they won't hurt and may help "fill out" your profile a little; colleges look for multidimensional, well-rounded internationals, after all.

As an aspiring applied math major, you should really make sure you have as many math accomplishments as possible, though--if you're a legit math beast, that will more than make up for missing out on a year of JV tennis or whatever!

(FWIW I'm a Williams alum and teacher in Seoul who sends lots of kids to HYPMS/Williams & similar schools each year).