Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do very high score gurantee admission at vanderbilt?

Dante119Dante119 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
Ok. I'm tired with those post about chances. Do perfect or near perfect SAT score with perfect GPA gurantee admission at vanderbilt?
Post edited by Dante119 on

Replies to: Do very high score gurantee admission at vanderbilt?

• tocollegetocollege Posts: 786Registered User Member
    No.

From your post, I assume you are an international applicant. Be sure to have someone check your grammar and spelling on your essays.

Good luck.
  • cc123sbcc123sb Posts: 455Registered User Member
    It doesn't guarantee admission, but if you have a 2350+, 4.0, 800's on your SAT2s, can pay full price, and apply ED, there's an extremely high chance you'll be admitted (99%+). If you're requesting fin aid your chances will exponentially decrease.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    No.
    Just look at the detailed data provided by the university and decide for yourself (see section C):
    CDS C.
    Note the long list of items that are considered very important when evaluating candidates.
  • Crimsonstained7Crimsonstained7 Posts: 1,183Registered User Senior Member
    Even if you have those scores and such, Vanderbilt is never a 99%+ chance.
    Given the stats OP posted on previous threads, he is a shoo-in. Perfect SAT and SAT2 scores, a perfect GPA, (presumably) most rigorous course load available, and a NM Scholar. As I stated, if he was a full price applicant (Vandy explicitly states that full price international applicants are given preference in admission), as long as his essays are fairly competent he's guaranteed entry. Even though admissions can sometimes seem arbitrary, the fact of the matter is that an applicant with perfect scores, ability to pay full price, a 4.0, and who has taken the most rigorous course load available will get in to Vandy ED so long his common app is coherent.

Granted, all of this argument is worthless. OP stated on a previous thread he is a NM scholar, which is only available to US citizens. Unless he is a US citizen studying high school in another country (which wouldn't make sense given that he took the toefl's), OP is lying about his stats.

So while Vandy isn't a 99% chance for a 2300 w/ a 3.8, or a 4.0 with a 2250, an applicant with a 2380, 4.0, most rigorous course load possible, respectable EC's and full ability to pay is pretty much guaranteed admission.
  • rw2013rw2013 Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
    cc123sb- just out of curiosity, where did Vanderbilt state that they give preference to internationals who can pay full price? I'm not doubting you or challenging you or anything, I just hadn't heard that before and I'm curious about it.
    Those international students who demonstrate they can afford the cost of attending Vanderbilt will be given preferential treatment in the admission process.

International Costs and Finances | Financial Aid | Undergraduate Admissions | Vanderbilt University
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    I interpreted that in a different way: that full-pay internationals are preferred over internationals that need aid. Not that they are preferred over all other types of applicants.
    They ought to reword that sentence since it is so open to interpretation!