Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is a 3.8 GPA good?

collegebound80collegebound80 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited January 2013 in College Admissions
I'm a little worried for college and have always been.
I don't know if this helps, but:
I live in California
I am Asian
My current weighted GPA for this school year (11) is 3.89 and non-weighted is 3.89.
My 10-12 weighted and non-weighted GPA is 3.80.
I am also in the top 9% of my graduating class.
Rank 30/438
I am a current high school student (Sophmore), and will be graduating the year 2015.
My school is fairly competitive school, and we are allowed to take AP courses (1 class) Sophmore year +
I'm on here because my school counselors are horrible, and I have quite a few questions.
My Freshman Year I took:
1st semester
- Algebra 1
- Art 1
- Biology
- Health
- Pre AP English
- Athletics

2nd semester
- Algebra 1.2
- Art 1
- Biology 1.2
- Geography
- Pre AP English
- PE 1

I got mostly all A's during my first and second semester, but one B in Algebra 1 in my semester.

Sophmore
- Alg II/Trig
- Chemistry 1
- English II Pre AP
- French 1
- PE II
- Advanced World History

EC:
- French Club
- CSF
- Cross Country

I will start to do more next year.

I have received all A's but one B. (First semester)

I really would like to go to UCD, and I know that colleges primarily look at your Sophmore Year +
I feel like I'm doing horrible right now, are my grades/GPA good?
Will I have time to fix them?
Post edited by collegebound80 on

Replies to: Is a 3.8 GPA good?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,412Registered User Senior Member
    Go speak with your guidance counselor. The people at your own high school know which UCs and CSUs their graduates get into each year, and they will be able to tell you if you are doing fine for UCD.

You also need to speak with your parents about the money. Sit down with them and run the Net Price Calculators at UCD and several other places so that you can figure out which will be affordable.
  • mikemacmikemac Posts: 7,374Registered User Senior Member
    I feel like I'm doing horrible right now
    You've received all A's and 1 B and you call that "horrible"? Your biggest problem isn't with college admissions, its with catastrophizing. This is going to do 10x more to hurt your future than any B is going to do.