Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Suspension, missed finals, low gpa

Sparsha16Sparsha16 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited July 2013 in College Admissions
Hi,

I just finished my junior year, but during second semester, I was dragged into a cheating scandal that cost me my 2nd semester grades. A couple of my classmates hacked into the grading system of the teacher and collaborated with the TA to change grades. I was not involved at all, that is until they changed MY grade as well. I found out about it, but got scared and kept quiet (meaning, I didnt tell the teacher). Just 4 days before school was to be out, the teacher found out and called everyone involved to the principal's office. Because my grade was also changed, I was called out too. I immediately came clean and told them what I knew and explained how I really never took part. I received a 3 day suspension (We had finals on the last 3 days of school, so my suspension made me miss those last 3 days). Unfortunately, my 3 day suspension made me get zeroes on some of the finals that I missed.

I was supposed to get 2 B's and 4 A's, but now I have 3 C's and 3 A's. So my GPA dropped like CRAZY. Here is how my GPA looks right now: (with the suspension's consequences)

UC weighted GPA: 3.72
unweighted: I think between a 3.4 and 3.5 somewhere
fully weighted is around a 3.9?

MY SAT score will be above a 2100 for sure (I'm retaking in October and am studying my butt off)

For SAT 2's, I'm taking Math 2 and Biology , and am planning on getting above 740 at least, hopefully. (definitely in the mid 700s or higher)

I have around 140 volunteer hours done.

I've been on the school's tennis team for 4 years and have been on varsity my senior year.

I am a classical Indian dancer (and have completed my solo debut performance called an "Arangetram" for those of you who know what that is). I've been dancing for 12 years, teaching for 5, and choreographing for 2. And I've trained with various world-renowned dancers.

I've also learned piano for 12 years, and will get my senior medal for the Certificate of Merit examinations in my senior year.

I have fundraised over $2,500 for a nearby elementary school, in a program that I myself created, which aimed to update technology across the campus.

My Major: I want to double major in Computer science and business administration and operations. However, if I dont feel that will work out, IM DEFINITELY going to do computer science though.

I'm looking to apply to the following colleges. Could someone please please tell my what my chances are of getting in?

- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- University of San Diego
- Cal Poly (SLO)
- Santa Clara University
- UC San Diego

I don't know of any other colleges, I'm still looking for more to add to my list. but as of now, Davis and USD are my top choices.

THANK FOR READING ALL THAT(:
Post edited by Sparsha16 on

Replies to: Suspension, missed finals, low gpa

• Sparsha16Sparsha16 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Oh and I've taken 4 AP's (did well on 2 of the AP tests) and have taken almost all honors. I had 3-4 weighted courses each semester in 10th and 11th.

and my GPA has not taken into account of freshman year grades. That is just 10th and 11th.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Posts: 7,145Registered User Senior Member
    But you will have a suspension for cheating on your record? or what will it say?
  • Emily918Emily918 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    You'll definitely have to explain this in the essay or personal statement, but you've got to accept that by not telling the second that you found out, you were being dishonest. And in the essay you'll have to say that you've learned your lesson. I can't really say whether or not you'll get in or not, obviously your stats are great, so it's just a matter of how they react to the incident, and also how your present it.
  • KKmamaKKmama Posts: 1,647Registered User Senior Member
    You need to make an appointment with your guidance counselor to find out how the suspension will be recorded and reported. You will also need to address it in your applications, because many schools will ask if you have ever been suspended or disciplined by the school.

It is very hard to stand up to friends who have done something seriously wrong. Now that you know that there are consequences to not doing so, you need to move forward with a stronger backbone. "Doing nothing" (not reporting them) is condoning what they did, and does make you a responsible party.
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Posts: 1,352Registered User Senior Member
    While it was up to you to speak up, I personally think you got the shaft for not being allowed to at the very least make up your finals after your suspension.

I agree, find out exactly how this will show up on any transcript or to any information sent to any college and explain to the universities accordingly.
  • Sparsha16Sparsha16 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thank you all for your responses! It will be reported on my transcript as a 3-day suspension, and I believe the school will not be explaining the incident to any colleges; only I will be explaining what happened. I've done some research and have found that most colleges have an optional essay that allows students to talk about anything they could not mention elsewhere on their application about the student's academic record. For that section, I am planning on writing out an essay explaining what happened in detail, and putting more emphasis on how what I did was wrong. I will explain that I fully accept my mistake (which I do) and show that I have learned from this incident, which has instead shaped me into a better person.

I'm not too worried about the suspension because I have a chance to explain what happened. Also, since I know I am a great student in general and am very sincere and disciplined (not being cocky, I genuinely think I have worked hard at being a good student), I will be getting some pretty good recommendation letters from my teachers at school, so overall the suspension shouldn't hurt me too badly.

The only way it has seriously hurt me is by basically killing my grades. With these grades, (3.7 UC weighted, 3.45 unweighted I think, and 3.9 fully weighted) and my SAT score (aobve 2150 at least), would I have a chance of getting into any of the colleges I mentioned? Or are these grades just too low?