Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I'm struggling to write my essays...

wowtherewowthere Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2013 in College Admissions
Alright so I'm an international student from France, intending to apply to Yale, Stanford, Upenn, UCLA, NYU, Brown, Princeton and Columbia for the class of 2018, as an Economics or Business major, depending on the schools.

I'm taking the SAT next month, however I never scored above 1800 on the few practice tests I took, although my score goes up about 100 points each time.

To compensate, I have quite a great deal of ECs, I'm extremely involved in a bunch of activities and do a lot for my school, which is sort of unusual here for French students. I am, among other things passionate about literature and creative writing, and I've been told since I was a kid that I'm a good writer. Yet I'm not hooked in any way (besides my nationality). Do you think this could get me into Ivies? What else could I do to increase my chances with such little time left?

I am nonetheless struggling with essay writing; I can't ever seem to be satisfied with my work. I have written about unusual and original topics, yet they always seem to lack that 'wow factor'. My essays are by no means exceptional, and this is precisely what Ivies are looking for. Moreover, people here have no idea what a common app or supplement essay looks like, and should look like, so literally no one can really provide me help.
On top of that, one of the essays I've written is extremely personal and I don't feel like having people I'm not very close with read it.
I feel really uninspired, and everything I write is okay or good; but that's not enough. How could I 'unlock' my writing? What can I do to write interesting, original, eye-catching essays without having a clue of what to write about/how to write it?

I really hope someone will be able to help me out... Cheers! :)
Post edited by wowthere on

Replies to: I'm struggling to write my essays...

This discussion has been closed.