Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

do you have to notify the colleges that you will not be attending?

tenchitenchi Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2006 in College Admissions
topic^ or let MAY 1 pass without notifying the colleges that you will not be attending
Post edited by tenchi on

Replies to: do you have to notify the colleges that you will not be attending?

• AntariusAntarius Posts: 4,413Registered User Senior Member
    yes............
  • BuerreBuerre Posts: 221Registered User Junior Member
    It would be nice to inform them. :)
    Most have some sort of online acceptance/sir web site - just log on, click a few times, and you have officially notified the school. It works really well, I have done it 3 times this spring, lol.
  • ohio_momohio_mom Posts: 4,045Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, notify the colleges - they need to know so they can (possibly) go to their waitlists.
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Posts: 15,373Registered User Senior Member
    Informing them is the polite way. Though many of my colleges don't have an online way to do this, which is pretty irritating. :p
  • b_22b_22 Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    i did, just think of the people on the waiting lists
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,346CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    do public schools need to notified?
  • AmistadAmistad Posts: 7,443Registered User Senior Member
    It's a polite thing to do even for public schools, and some like the UCs let you do it from the website where you get your admission decision.
  • Dima343Dima343 Posts: 2,211Registered User Senior Member
    You should let all schools youve been accepted to but wont be attending know. Its just courtesy to those sitting on waitlists.
  • chocoholicchocoholic Posts: 2,995Registered User Senior Member
    Of course it is polite to let them know you will not be attending. Most schools send you a postcard or something similar in your acceptance package, where you check off whether you are attending or not, and some ask you why not/ or where you have decided to attend. You don't have to give them details.
    Anyway, if they don't receive your deposit by their deadline they will assume that you are not coming. I doubt that most schools notify their waitlisted candidates until June at the earliest?
  • silveR_hammersilveR_hammer Posts: 414Registered User Member
    if they're not online, do you call or send a letter or what?