Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

FAQ: Foreign Language

Replies to: FAQ: Foreign Language

• SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 1,640 Senior Member
    Would taking 2 semesters of dual enrollment college courses in foreign language be considered as equal to 4 years of high school study? If you take that route, will there any disadvantage in admission compare to taking actually 4 years in highschool ending with AP?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,797 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    Re: #61

It depends on the college and high school, since different colleges' and high schools' language courses cover material at different speeds. However, in California, a year of college foreign language is commonly seen as equivalent as three years of high school foreign language.

Consulting with the language instructors at the current school for the proper placement would be the best thing to do if the student wants to continue studying the language after completing course work at a previous school.
    edited November 2016
    Foreign language instruction at daughter's current school is very good. In fact, it is too challenging for my taste. Honors third year at the school - exclusively taught in the foreign language - will probably be equivalent to or higher than 3rd semester course of local community college where mine took 1st semester course last year. She is getting a B on honors Spanish Lv2 and I don't see it improving next year unless she moves down to regular. I was interest in an easier path that doesn't seem to exist.
  • TestingearlyTestingearly Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    edited November 2016
    Can you all help me define fluent for college application purposes? Georgetown asks a question about fluency on their application. Would you take AP score, subject test score, or number of years studied into account?
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    @SculptorDad You want your daughter to take her language courses at CC because its too hard at her prep school? I don't know that the school would even allow this- it doesn't make sense. Since I've seen from other threads that your daughter is very very advanced in math and science courses, already haven taken many CC courses, I would think you would encourage her to stick with her challenging language course and work hard at it. Perhaps she can have a free period next year rather than take more APs so she can work on her more challenging language courses. Colleges (and her high school) won't understand why she did not take a the language at her school other than the obvious (grade grubbing).

The easier path exists.. Drop to regular Spanish at her high school.. Not attend community college for Spanish so it looks like a college course when its really just easier than high school.
    Can you all help me define fluent for college application purposes? Georgetown asks a question about fluency on their application. Would you take AP score, subject test score, or number of years studied into account?

Can you have a reasonable conversation with a native speaker of that language?
    @suzyQ7, I form a lot of ideas that are bad. Thanks for the reminding. I think dropping to regular Spanish is what my daughter might do for next year.
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    Glad I could help @SculptorDad !
  • WebleyWebley Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    How would a high school exchange to a foreign language country look? I would only have 2 years of French study and no study of other languages before going to a French speaking country but would likely come back with university-level or above French language skills (the exchange I'm currently looking at is for a full school year). Would I have to take a French proficiency test for it to 'count'?
    It would not hurt to take a known proficiency test (AP and SAT subject tests are well known to US universities) to confirm your knowledge of French after the year of study in the French-speaking country, and note on applications that your source of French proficiency is from that year of study.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    S2 hates hates hates French. He is a junior taking French 4 now. I know schools don't look at junior high, but French 1H in 8th grade (his 3td year of French) is on his transcript. Then French 2 in 9th and so on.

Does he have to take it Senior year? He has the 4 years, but in in 8th grade?
    Re: #71

See Q1 and Q4 in the initial post of this thread.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    Duh! When all else fails read the thread! Sorry @ucbalumnus I followed a link to this thread and it started me in the middle, which I thought was the beginning!!!

Apologies!
  • ria24smria24sm Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    When is the right time to take CLEP ? After 3 years of taking foreign language or should we finish fourth year first ?
  • stayingbright01stayingbright01 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Will it hurt my chances in college if I don't take 4 years (up to AP)?
    Like will they automatically pull me out of the applicant pool or consider me as a weak applicant?