Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

Replies to: "Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

• XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    @coffeeaddicted I would check off all 3. That said, you could check off any combination of those. Its your decision.
  • coffeeaddictedcoffeeaddicted Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    @XCjunior2016 so would you not call it gaming the system if I only checked off white and African American? I'm probably checking all three though.
  • XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    edited December 2015
    Not if you genuinely feel connected to the black community and don't consider yourself Asian. Race is more than just your skin color. How is your family affected by race? That has an impact on you as well, even if you're light skinned. Another judge might be culture (what are you eating for Christmas dinner, if you celebrate the holiday at all?). Trust what feels honest.

I'm almost entirely white and identify as white but I don't judge people who identify differently at all. Good luck!!

@coffeeaddicted
  • NedconeNedcone Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    @coffeeaddicted I personally would check all three or the one that gives you the most advantage.
    I see it as this. Race is equal parts appearance and genetics as well as being entirely made up on a macro scale. As such, if you were to only click one (if you have the option of multiple, mixed, or other) you would deny a part of your make up.
    Now onto advantage. Race, as we recall, is a very ingrained social concept. And defining yourself as African-American when you are in order to get a possible advantage is not at all unethical or dishonest. After all, it's not as if you're an Afrikaaner attempting to do this. Especially considering how biased (with legacy, income inequality, school district inequality in funding and teachers, differences in extracurricular options, information access et cetera). Your concerns about not having a struggle because of your appearance, while good (showing that you're contemplative) are unfounded. Not every black person struggles with race in their life so much. Even in my case where I have faced many many cases of racism, I still know I have not struggled nearly as much as others. And the black community is not a monolith.

In the end, it is your choice. As long as you are qualified for the particular university, I see no problem using any legal and truthful means to get an advantage. No matter how you define youself for college, good luck.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,257 Senior Member
    Because Asian is a race.
    No. Asian is an adjective describing a continent.
  • dsi411dsi411 Registered User Posts: 2,319 Senior Member
    It's also a race.
  • NedconeNedcone Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    @epiphany Asian is indeed a race.
    As defined by the government of the U.S., the racial groups are: White, Black or African-American, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian or Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.

You may qualms against it as it groups most of the people from an entire continent (Many peoples of the Middle East are counted in the White category) but that is because race is inherently irrational as an idea. Alternatively, you may be confusing race with ethnicity, of which I believe only Native Hawaiian crosses over as both.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,257 Senior Member
    I'm not confusing anything with anything else, but you are confusing the U.S. government as the source of all biological facts.
  • dadak99dadak99 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Quick thing.
    If I choose "prefer not to answer" for the race section, but my name and the activities that I participate in "reveal" that I belong to that race, would the admissions office change my "race" to whatever I am?
  • coffeeaddictedcoffeeaddicted Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    Thanks so much @XCjunior2016 and @Nedcone . I think ultimately I identify as American, which could mean any mix of things, and that checking off a box for me doesn't necessarily mean being entirely connected to or having the appearance of that race, since ultimately I'm identified as a combination of multiple races, despite the color of my skin. This makes sense, and as interracial marriages are increasingly common, there are increasingly more people like me and my siblings.

And culturally, I would probably be white (we ate lasagna for Christmas dinner although we usually eat turkey haha), but I also share connections with my mom's black side of the family that could culturally identify me as black, and some more distant connections with her Filipino side.
  • MexitalianMomMexitalianMom Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    My son is 50% Hispanic from my side of the family. I was born in Calif and my children in Florida. We are 100% American. I have always considered myself white-hispanic, and now my children do as well(husband is Italian). I speak Spanish, as my parents were born in a different country, but my children do not. My children have been raised with less "hispanic" culture than I. They have no problem self identifying as hispanic americans, although they do not necessarily look like they are. I agree that as people begin to marry different races and nationalities, checking boxes will become more difficult to do.
  • AmberLee2016AmberLee2016 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I've heard Asians are being discriminated against by the adcoms :(