Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

3.18 20 ACT Questions

Replies to: 3.18 20 ACT Questions

• bester1bester1 Registered User Posts: 544 Member
    Thanks MYOS1634. I think both the 3.5 and 25 on the ACT are achievable. Do you think some of the PASSHE schools will likely close their doors as they appear to be poorly attended and enrollment is falling. They just seem to be the most affordable option and I would like her to graduate without any or much debt.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 27,724 Senior Member
    I don't think the PASSHE schools will close because they're state-backed, even if poorly financed.
    When the matter of debt occurs, sticking to the federal limit (27K for all undergraduate, or: 5.5K freshman, 6.5K sophomore, 7.5 each of jr and sr year) is doable if necessary - not optimal but if the choice is between, say, Slippery Rock and St Lawrence, go for St Lawrence and a little debt.
    (St Lawrence, Hobart&William Smith, Goucher... are all other possibilities).
    Thanks MYOS1634. Interesting thoughts. Will the difference in education between Slippery Rock and St. Lawrence be that great?
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre Registered User Posts: 1,153 Senior Member
    I'm not familiar with PASSHE (I'm from IL) but...I read about these schools for my D...

Susquehanna, Elizabethtown, Albright, Wittenberg (in Ohio). Lycoming.

What about Temple? Arcadia? Ursinus?

Definitely have your D take the ACT another time or two, a higher score will help.
    Thanks for the responses. She likes schools with at least 4,000 students. I like all of the ones mentioned but the price tag might be a bit steep? We will see. I guess you never know.
  • SeekingPamSeekingPam Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    Also, I would avoid any school where kids go home on weekends. Friend's D is at one and is looking to transfer. Really taking away from her college experience. It is a small local state school in another state.

edited January 2016
    Yes, there's a huge difference in atmosphere, resources, and "norm" between Slippery Rock and St Lawrence. Resources simply aren't comparable and everything that comes from that follows. That's a biggie.
    Add to this the level of preparation and participation in class, the facilities and equipment for science, the motivation, the availability of the professors (they don't have the same schedule, so that St Lawrence professors have a lot more time to dedicate to personal help for students as well as research, in which they're encouraged to involve students. Due to the way their schedule is done, Slippery Rock professors may well be willing to help when asked but may not have enough time or have to "make time" which is hit-and-miss, and they have zero time for research during the year.)

There's a difference in "feel" for a college with 2,000 students and a high school with 2,000 students. High schools are very compact, concentrated, with students present at the same place at the same moment for a short duration. Colleges are all-day deals if they are residential (and those providing the best experience and the most growth are residential.) Colleges have to maintain entire deparments with labs and equipment, fields, lots of different buildings, dorms, etc. In my totally personal and unscientific estimation, you can triple the "feel" of a college compared to a high school in terms of size, ie., a high school with 3,000 students would feel like a college that has 1,000 - due to campus size, number of professors, etc. This is less true with "vertical" campuses and more true if there is a 200-acre campus. You may want to visit a college with about 1,500-2,000 students without telling her how many students there are. In addition, cutting all colleges under 4,000 cuts almost all the best LACs, all the most affordable colleges, and a lot of options.
    All good points. Really excellent. It will likely come down to money and what level of swimming she wants.
    MYOS1634- any thoughts on Penn State Erie? A little expensive for a branch but seems like a potential fit.
    I don't know if she could swim, but Erie is considered the best branch, very strong in the sciences, and more residential than the others. It's better funded than the PASSHE schools. Another advantage is that you have a choice - stay at Erie for your degree, or transition to University Park for the last two years.
    Thanks MYOS1634. She could swim there. Not a great swim school but she could make the best of it. Price similar to Gannon University.
    Look at St Michael's, Susquehanna,UScranton, and Simmons. Good swimming, nice campuses, good academics. Run the NPCs just in case.
    Great suggestions. Just a bit more expensive. Thank you!!
    My daughter has been turned on to Niagara University. Seems to be a good education, decent price and DI swimming. I think she has a shot.
  • PortercatPortercat Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    bester1, We are in a similar boat with the PASSHE schools. There are limited affordable options in PA with folks in our situation; decent income but difficult to afford private with little merit and no-need aid. I would love to hear your thoughts on the PASSHE schools you have seen. We are visiting York next week.