Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Accepted to Only 2 Out of 17 Schools - and What I Learned

1235»

Replies to: Accepted to Only 2 Out of 17 Schools - and What I Learned

• SkullingGirlSkullingGirl Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Dear Berkeley2020,

I'm a parent whose son was accepted to UCB (Regents') Engineering and did not go; he attended Vanderbilt. He loved his school, did well and was exposed to a wide range of people and ideas that helped him grow in new directions. He ended up working in a not for profit in SF after graduation and collaborated with UCB students and faculty and raved about them. He even shared how great an experience that would have been to go there.

I appreciate your post; it shows deep self reflection and awareness. Each point was compelling but the first one about lacking personal passion in your essay stood out the most. You have to be authentic when describing who you are, what you care about, what you want, and it actually does come through in an essay.

Thank you for sharing what you learned about this difficult process. I hope your first year at UCB is going great.

• iamnotaaroniamnotaaron Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @OnlyBerkeley2020 Tell us about your experiences so far at Cal!
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 16,067 Senior Member
    @iamnotaaron This thread is a year old and the OP has not been on this site since May, 2016,
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    Just saw this, thanks to its being reposted in another thread. OP you are an amazing person. I am so happy for you that it is working out at Berkeley! It shows so much maturity and thoughtfulness that you came back to post your experiences for other students' benefit. Congrats...and enjoy!
1235»