Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how would you define an "average" student?

precociousprecocious Posts: 1,107Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2006 in College Admissions
as in... courseload, unweighted and weighted GPA-wise, SATs and extracurrics?

not SO average that they'll end up at a community college, but someone that'd get into maybe one or two top 30 schools, mostly have their matches in the top 50-70 range, and safties being top 70s-100ish.
Post edited by precocious on

Replies to: how would you define an "average" student?

• raindrop1019raindrop1019 Posts: 959Registered User Member
    2000 + SAT
    2 or 3 honors or AP classes per year, but gets Bs in them
    top 15% of class rank
    member of NHS, Key Club, etc
    involved in a sport or debate, but not recruited athlete or prez of debate
  • suzesuze Posts: 4,479- Senior Member
    An average student has a 2.8 (really depends on the school) so use rank instead--they are in the top 50% at an average school , 1550 new and has been a of a few clubs or can be a great athlete. Average kids don't get into top 30 schools unless they are recruited athletes or development candidates. Precocious, you often write about school's having holistic approaches. I think after a full season here You will believe far less in that myth. Anyone who really wants to know where they will get in, lacking a real hook (athlete, legacy, development, prodigy, national recognition) needs to look at the school's 75 percentile. Or 60 percentile if they have fabulous recs, go to a very competitive school (averge SAT over 1250) orget very, very lucky.
  • Fsu-ufFsu-uf Posts: 936Registered User Member
    getting in to 2 top30 schools is not average, its above average maybe even higher.

an average student gets into, tier2-3 schools such as- oregon,iowa,olemiss,fsu, etc.(usually state schools)

gpa-2.9 uw, 3.5 w
    sat -1100-1250
    act-24-25
    extracurriculars- usually about 4
    comm. service- 50+hrs
    mostly honors classes.
    class rank top 50%
    no leadership positions
    I was not talking about an average student, but rather the average student who gets into one or two top thirty schools. I think this what the "OP" meant.
  • jakem333jakem333 Posts: 662Registered User Member
    i'll say:

3.2 GPA UW/ 3.8 GPA W
    1750-1800 SATs
    maybe a couple EC's such as sports, a random club or two
    courseload: Mainly honors courses, with an AP in a subject they enjoy or excel at and perhaps standard level in a subject they have trouble with.
  • War ChantWar Chant Posts: 2,320Registered User Senior Member
    The average GPA at my school is 3.3-3.4 weighted, and 990 SAT without writing.
  • precociousprecocious Posts: 1,107Registered User Senior Member
    hmmm interesting how the answers are all so varied, haha
  • glucose101glucose101 Posts: 5,264Registered User Senior Member
    2000+

that isn't that average
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Posts: 1,420Registered User Senior Member
    i'll say:

3.2 GPA UW/ 3.8 GPA W

that is not average either.
    2000 + is average for top 30 schools... and a match for top 50 schools.
  • glucose101glucose101 Posts: 5,264Registered User Senior Member
    oh...I thought they meant like Average in a America, not like the top 25
  • klf1120klf1120 Posts: 579Registered User Member
    an average student gets into, tier2-3 schools such as- oregon,iowa,olemiss,fsu, etc.(usually state schools)

Many above average students also elect to go to a state school. There is nothing wrong with taking that direction. All the above average students at my school go to state schools. The top 1% of the graduating class is going to state schools, except our valedictorian.
  • bearsfolifebearsfolife Posts: 361Registered User Member
    Question wasn't worded the best

Average student(meaning a student who does minimum work, minimum things)

GPA: 2.7-3.0
    ACT: 21
    EC's: almost none

Average student(in terms of averaging out all the top students, the middle students, and the acadmically poor students):

GPA: 3.0-3.2
    ACT: 23
    EC's: some, maybe does a sport, maybe involved in some community service club, but not involved in a ton of things.
  • FandangoyaFandangoya Posts: 602Registered User Member
    Average and above average people can go to Community College. For most, it is extremely cheaper, and you can just transfer out anyway.