Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Should quadruplet brothers apply to the same prestigious universities?

NikkuWaddeNikkuWadde Registered User Posts: 512 Member
edited November 2016 in College Admissions
As RD deadlines approach, I've been wondering this.

So we are all in the top 10% of our class of 720. Each of us has 3.8+ Unweighted GPAs, each of us has loads of AP classes and we’ll have glowing recs. One of us (not me) could be valedictorian. We are also URMs (black).

Here are my extracurriculars:

Nsliy Arabic scholar (State Dept scholarship to study Arabic in Morocco over the summer)

Council American Islamic Relations (CAIR)- Govt affairs interns

President of my school’s cultural club

Volunteer at refugee center- I use my Arabic skills to help resettle refugees

Varsity Shotput thrower (not recruited)

*I want to major in International Relations and Arabic.

My bros and I have similar extra curriculars in that we excel in our areas of interest: Language and Geopolitics (me), Engineering , Medicine and Neuroscience, Computer Science.

Test scores is where the problems start. One of us has a 29 ACT, I have a 31 (32 super scored), and the other two have 33s. We are all applying to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Vanderbilt together, and then we have schools we individually like. I know my 31 is borderline for Ivies, and my brother’s 29 is very low. I was hoping the fact that we are black URMs and quads could help. But if we all apply at these prestigious Universities, will my brother’s 29 and my 31 prevent all of us from getting in?

Replies to: Should quadruplet brothers apply to the same prestigious universities?

• suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,862 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    @NikkuWadde Your story is so interesting - good luck to you and your family! Its really hard to say - I don't think its a benefit to apply to the same top schools, because there are only so many spots - but it sounds like all 4 of you are very smart, very involved and have an interesting story- so who knows? A top school may take all of you and it will be in the press and it will be an interesting story for the school too. That said, what could happen is the 1-2 of you with the slighted better stats could get accepted and the rest don't. I hope it doesn't cause animosity between you and your brothers. Please keep us posted on your results!
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 16,449 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    You will be viewed as 4 individuals by college admissions officers. Given the disparity in ACT scores, you need to be prepared to get different admission results, especially at the very competitive schools. Work hard to end the animosity/competition. You are quads, but you are each individuals so try to keep the focus on having each person find the right college.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    I think you should each apply only to the colleges you really want to go to. It isn't a competition. There are quite a few stories of multiples being accepted to prestigious universities and colleges. In fact, given that you are all high achievers and Arfican American, I don't think it would be too surprising if it did happen that you all got accepted to the same place. But it would certainly be unusual. Your main motivator should be that you think you fit at a college you apply to. Good luck to you all.

Yes, the lower test scores will not help at the most prestigious colleges, in all likelihood.
  • HellofagalHellofagal Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Is Middlebury on YOUR list? They will super score your ACT and are known for languages.
  • NikkuWaddeNikkuWadde Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Georgetown and Middlebury are both my list @Hellofagal. These are only the schools we are applying to in common. U Chicago is also on my list, because they super score the act
    edited November 2016
    Also the animosity isn't negative. We want to go to those schools listed, but if one, or any combination of us got in, we'd be happy. We compete in school in stuff, but it's all good-natured.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    Your test scores ARE good, even at test optional colleges. I would submit them.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Following. Let us know.

Are you applying for financial aid?
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 2,017 Senior Member
    Just my two cents' worth but I think that you should all independently apply to whatever schools you like. If some overlap, so be it. As you mentioned, you have some that overlap and some that don't so that is a good strategy. Good luck!
    edited November 2016
    @brantly yes we are! Honestly this whole process has been so expensive.
    We got the fee waiver for the common app from counselor, so we didn't have to pay application fees, but sending in CSS profiles and test score stats is bound to be extremely expensive.
  • Jara123Jara123 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    A URM with a 31 with good EC's, and a good "story" has a decent shot at the Ivy's. Your ROTC should make some difference. I can't imagine how hard it would be to rise quadruplets. Yikes! Good luck to you and hats off to your parents!