Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Appalachian State Admissions

Replies to: Appalachian State Admissions

• Waiting2107Waiting2107 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    We have not heard anything either and that is why I called. The person answering the phone said that they would still be sending them out through the 2nd week in February. I asked if they would send something either way. She said "I think so" but I don't have much confidence in that response.
  • mi5kidsmi5kids Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I read a tweet (actually two separate ones) on App State Admissions saying that everyone who applied for scholarships, Honors, or Watauga Residential College would hear by the end of January. They are giving out different information in different places. Best of luck to everyone who hasn't heard. We are still waiting to hear on the residential college at our house (heard about honors in early January and Scholars Day yesterday).
    Oh, and the tweets also said that people would find out either way.
  • LxTE5VWLxTE5VW Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you!
  • meganewarrenmeganewarren Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    I actually had to email Watauga to find out if I got in there. They told me to expect something in the mail this week with more details. As for scholarship stuff, I got a letter last weekend saying that they were not able to offer me anything.
    @meganewarren Did they tell you "yes" or "no" when you emailed?
    @meganewarren Sorry, I went back through the thread and saw that you were indeed admitted. Good to know something will come in the mail this week. Hopefully a yes! as it sounds like a really great place to live.
  • meganewarrenmeganewarren Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @mi5kids no worries! In my email message I just asked when decisions would be released and they responded telling me that I was admitted, which I was not expecting! If you don't want to wait for the letter, definitely email them because they got back to me really fast.
  • Rio123Rio123 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I got accepted to the Watauga Residential College. Does anyone know anything about it, or if it's worth participating in it? Does it come with scholarships?
  • Waiting2107Waiting2107 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Got letters from WRC and Honors College today. Accepted into WRC and wait listed for Honors College. 4.6 GPA and 30 ACT. Anyone have stats for those accepted to Honors College?
    @Rio123 It does not have scholarships associated with it. In fact, it has an extra $125 surcharge because of the activities that they do that are above and beyond the normal dorm life. However, it is a group of quirky, intelligent students who get to live together for two years and take alternate general educational courses that are more interdisciplinary than the regular gen ed. I've heard it HIGHLY praised in a lot of locations on the internet. Additionally, they usually create a Facebook page for those who have been accepted, so if they do, join that and see if this group of students feels like a group you'd love to spend time with. Also, it has a whole section of the App State website dedicated to it, so maybe start there if you want to learn more! Good luck on your decision.
  • Rio123Rio123 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    mi5kids Thanks for your response!
  • bedynamicbedynamic Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I received a Scholars Day invitation around January 27th to interview for the Wilson Scholarship at Appalachian State and I have three friends who were invited to interview for the Chancellor's. Does anyone have any advice about the interviews? Even though I'm not interviewing for the Chancellor's, I'm curious for my friends. Are they purely based on test scores or, if you make it to the interview, do they consider the whole person?
    Also, @Rio123 I visited the Watagua Residential College, talked to the director, and toured it with current students. It is an integrative learning experience. The classes are very philosophical and discussion-based. There is a small classroom on almost every floor for the Watagua classes and the building is connected to the professors' offices. All the students have to each lunch together in the Watagua cafeteria with the faculty every Tuesday and Thursday. Everyone I met was so kind! Personally, I loved the atmosphere, and I have been searching for a small-knit community to be a part of in college. If that sounds like what you are looking for, I would encourage you to contact the director and ask any further questions. I hope that helps!
    @PandaFan If it helps to know, your daughter can reapply to the Honors College after her first semester at Appalachian and it's a much higher acceptance rate from that pool of applicants. If she plans to do that, she can wait until second semester to have her orientation class. So, if she is accepted she can take her orientation class with the Honors College.