Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

College Admissions Statistics Class of 2021: Early and Regular Decision Acceptance Rates

Replies to: College Admissions Statistics Class of 2021: Early and Regular Decision Acceptance Rates

• collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 954 Member
    Yes, you are right and they HAD to come up with something for this first year. After this year the question will be more so how to compare it with the ACT, also probably not an exact science. But they need guidelines nonetheless.
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 6
    I agree with @CathJR - this thread, like the equivalent thread last year, is for compiling admit/defer/deny rates by school. There are likely to be more comprehensive discussions of the ins and outs of the SAT on other threads.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • spayurpetsspayurpets Registered User Posts: 867 Member
    Union College article provides some information for applicants but not enough to calculate an admissions rate yet.
    https://www.union.edu/news/stories/2017/02/applications-to-union-hit-a-new-high.php
    Applications to Union hit a new high
    February 10, 2017 |

A record number of students have applied to join Union’s Class of 2021, continuing a decade-long trend of those seeking admission to the College.

To date, Union has received 6,652 applications from some of the nation’s top high school students, a slight increase from last year’s 6,647. Last year marked the first time applications topped 6,000, an 11 percent increase over the year before.

The jump was fueled in part by a record 413 early decision applications, 47 more than a year ago. Students applying under early decision have made a commitment to attend Union if they are accepted.

Matt Malatesta ‘91, vice president for Admissions, Financial Aid and Enrollment, noted the 5 percent boost in women who applied early decision, to 47 percent of all early decision applicants.

Increases were also evident in international applications (24 percent versus 20) and those applying from outside the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states (39 percent versus 36).

The applicant pool represents 48 states and 106 countries.

Malatesta said there is no single factor driving the overall application surge. He pointed to a number of external recognitions that have helped raise the school’s visibility, including Union’s recent inclusion in the college guide, “The Hidden Ivies,” which highlights exceptional schools that offer a broad liberal arts education. Union was also among the Princeton Review’s list of colleges with the best return on investment, and USA Today’s College Guide ranked Union among the top five STEM schools for women.
    The expected size of the Class of 2021 is 575 students.

Regular decision letters will be sent by April 1. Accepted students have until May 1 to commit.

The record number of applications comes at a time when the College remains committed to meeting the full financial need of all admitted students. The average need-based scholarship at Union is $32,500, and the average merit scholarship range from $10,000 to $20,000.
    Since no schools have announced recently, the list has become buried in the thread. Also, NYU's ED number was inaccurate because it mixed in ED2 applications, so I'm reposting without NYU:

MIT EA 657 out of 8394 (7.8%) (def=69.7%, rej=22.4%)
    Georgetown EA 931 out of 7822 (11.9%)(def=88.1%)
    Boston University ED2 ~274 out of 2039 (~13.4%)
    Harvard SCEA 938 out of 6473 (14.5%)
    Princeton SCEA 770 out of 5003 (15.4%)
    Yale SCEA 871 out of 5086 (17.1%) (def=52.7%, rej=28.6%)
    Rice ED 329 out of 1604 (20.5%)
    Brown ED 695 out of 3170 (21.9%)(def=60%, rej=18%)
    Georgia Tech EA (OOS) ~2300 out of 11,515 (~21%)
    Penn ED 1354 out of 6147 (22.0%)
    UVA EA (OOS) 3339 out of 14,968 (22.3%)
    Carnegie Mellon ED 330 out of 1375 (24.0%)
    Notre Dame REA 1470 out of 6020 (24.4%) (893 def=14.8%)
    Duke ED 861 out of 3516 (24.5%)(def,671=19.1%)
    Cornell ED ~1379 out of 5384 (25.6%)(def=20.9%, rej=53.5%)
    Northwestern ED ~963 out of 3736 (~25.7%)
    Dartmouth ED 555 out of 1999 (27.8%)
    Georgia Tech EA (IS/OOS) 4380 out of 15,715 (27.9%)
    Boston University ED1/ED2 ~1190 out of 4181 (~28.5%)
    UVA EA (IS/OOS) 5914 out of 20,446 (28.9%)(def,5458=26.7%; rej,9074=44.4%)
    Tulane EA 6480 out of 22,256 (29.1%)
    Tufts ED1/ED2 ~675 out of 2310 (~29.2%)
    Johns Hopkins ED 591 out of 1934 (30.6%)
    Emory ED 474 out of 1493 (31.7%)
    Boston College EA ~2900 out of 9000 (~33%)(def,3500=38.9%, rej,2500=27.8%)
    Williams ED 257 out of 728 (35.3%)
    Boston University ED1 916 out of 2142 (42.8%)
    UVA EA (IS) 2575 out of 5278 (48.8%)
    Fordham EA 9812 out of 19,859 (49.4%)
    Georgia Tech EA (IS) ~2080 out of 4200 (~49%)
    Middlebury ED1 343 out of 673 (51.0%) (def,60=8.9%, rej,270=40.1%)
    William & Mary ED 528 out of 1023 (51.6%)
    University of Georgia EA 8059 out of 15,614 (51.6%)
    Fordham ED 156 out of 293 (53.2%)
    Maroon article adds a bit of color to the UChicago ED admissions change, but no data:

https://www.chicagomaroon.com/article/2017/2/14/talked-class-2021-admits-new-early-decision-option/
    We Talked to Class of 2021 Admits About the New Early Decision Option

This year marked the first time the University instituted a binding Early Decision (ED) option alongside Early Action (EA) for applicants. The Maroon reached out to the new class for their reactions.

Along with the previously existing nonbinding EA application option, the University is now offering a binding ED I option. Applicants from these pools receive their decisions in December. The University of Chicago accepted its first batch of students via EA and ED I late last December. There is also now an ED II option with a later deadline.

According to newly admitted student Olivia Martin, in the presence of the new ED option, EA selection appears as more of an afterthought for some diehard UChicago lovers. “I felt like the commitment [of ED] would increase my chances of actually being accepted, and I didn’t really see myself at many other schools,” Martin said.

“I am definitely happy with the program; it’s super nice to already know where I’m going to school next year. UChicago has been my top choice school for years, and I know [ED] might have changed the makeup and mentality of my class, but it’s also exciting that I’ll be going to school with people who definitely love UChicago as much as I do,” Martin said.

The decision to accept a round of ED applicants while retaining the EA option has been met with varying responses.

“[Early Decision] does kind of take away from Early Action, but there has to be some indicator of how excited you are about the school. The Early Decision option allows us to show how badly we want to be there,” recently admitted ED applicant Parker Mee said.

Mee went back and forth between both options, before ultimately deciding to choose Early Decision. “I talked to my tutor about Scav, and it made me excited to go there. At that point, I didn’t want to apply anywhere else,” Mee said.

A number of the recently admitted students who applied ED told The Maroon they were glad to have the binding option, with some citing it as a reason they were accepted to the University. The wider variety of options might help the University stand out among other top-tier schools, many of which only offer Restrictive Early Action or Early Decision.

According to ED admit Eisuke Tanioka, this option allowed applicants to truly express their desire to be at the University. “For me, I knew that I wanted to go to UChicago, so I [chose] ED. I enjoyed that they had EA and ED. I think it’s nice for UChicago to have those options,” Tanioka said.
  • keiekeikeiekei Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    Seems like UChicago is hyping ED pretty hard. Confusing for students, though, to have so many options in a single school. I guess this will allow for a higher yield, which may help on the image management front. https://www.chicagomaroon.com/article/2017/1/6/admissions-award-tour-guide-500-creative-way-fight/
    Vanderbilt ED1/ED2
    Class of 2021 – Early Decision Summary Statistics

We’ve finished the Early Decision phase of our admissions process for the Vanderbilt Class of 2021, crunched the numbers, and now we have some summary statistics about our newest ‘Dores. Our Early Decision admits are an incredibly talented, diverse, and engaged group, and we are thrilled they’ll be joining our campus community this fall. Judging by the response we’re seeing from them online, they’re also pretty excited. Check out this collection of #2021 posts to see for yourself!

Here’s a profile of the Vanderbilt Early Decision Class of 2021:

Percent of students who received one or more significant honors or held major leadership positions: 100%

Old SAT*
    Middle 50% Critical Reading: 710-790
    Middle 50% Math: 750-800

New SAT*
    Middle 50% Evidence Based Reading and Writing: 710-760
    Middle 50% Math: 730-790

Middle 50% ACT: 33-34

Percent of students in the top ten percent of their graduating class: 94%**
    Early Decision Admit Rate: 23.6%

https://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/vandybloggers/2017/02/class-of-2021-early-decision-summary-statistics/
    Case Western info, but is not too informative:
    http://observer.case.edu/number-of-applications-for-class-of-2021-breaks-record/
    Number of applications for class of 2021 breaks record

February 17, 2017

Applications for the entering class of 2021 totalled the most-ever, surpassing 25,000.

The record marked one of many jumps over the past decade, along with a steady decrease in the acceptance rate, and was attributed to new developments on campus by Robert McCullough, assistant vice president for enrollment and director of admission. Early Decision and Early Action applications increased by 13 percent, while Regular Decision and Pre-Professional Scholars applications increased by seven percent.

In the 2012-2013 application cycle, Case Western Reserve University received 18,000 applications, of which over half were accepted. During the 2015-2016 cycle, 35 percent of applicants were accepted.
    In order to facilitate the increase in applications being processed, McCullough said the admissions process was changed to allow Undergraduate Admissions to read applications “more carefully and efficiently.” Part-time readers that work remotely have been added to the process to ease the workload.

The size of incoming classes, as well as their academic standings, have increased over the past years. The class of 2020, those that joined CWRU last fall, had a median GPA of 3.98 and the middle 50 percent had a median SAT score of 1310-1470 and ACT score of 30-34. Just over 70 percent were in the top tenth of their high school class.

The size of the incoming class is expected be around 1,250.
    Trinity College data (H/T again to College Kickstart, which seems to always get an early jump on ED announcements). I'll have to do some more digging to figure out the admit rate, but College Kickstart reported it at 71%.
    Trinity College Welcomes First Members of Class of 2021

Early Decision Admits Up Significantly Compared with Last Year

Hartford, Connecticut, February 15, 2017 – Approximately 315 students who applied to Trinity College early decision (ED) will be the first members of the Class of 2021, representing a 20 percent increase over the 263 students admitted early last year.

Vice President for Enrollment and Student Success Angel B. Pérez said he and his team are very pleased with this year’s ED program, citing two primary reasons for growth. There was a nine percent increase in ED applications to the College, while, at the same time, Trinity saw a surge in the academic quality of the ED applicant pool. “This signals that more students are considering Trinity as a first-choice institution and that our messaging about Trinity’s emphasis on academic quality and personal character is resonating with the high school counseling community,” said Pérez.

Of the admitted students, 49 percent are women and 51 percent are men. American students of color, including multi-ethnic students, are 23 percent of the ED admits. Fifty-five percent are from outside New England and six percent are international students. Eleven percent of the ED admits are first-generation college students.

Included in the ED admits are 20 Posse Scholars from New York and Chicago, three MasterCard Foundation Scholars and a Davis United World College Scholar. Also included are 13 previously-admitted students who reconfirmed their commitment to enroll at Trinity after taking a gap year.

Since October 2015, Trinity has no longer required SAT or ACT scores for admission, and 57 percent of the Class of 2021 ED admits chose not to submit standardized test scores.

ED applicants, who affirm their commitment to attend Trinity if admitted, applied to Trinity in two rounds, with an ED1 deadline of November 15, 2016, and an ED2 deadline of January 1, 2017. Regular decision applicants will receive notification of Trinity’s admission decision in late March.
    http://www.trincoll.edu/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/pages/EDClassOf2021.aspx
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Vanderbilt - Middle 50% ACT: 33-34!

This just confirms the popular theory that Vanderbilt really cares more about standardized test scores above everything else and just seems to be less holistic in their admissions than similar schools.
  • dragonmom3dragonmom3 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    Has anybody seen any stats as far as the number of applicants for early decisions at Vanderbilt, or the number of accepted students?
    Last year it was around 800/3400 and the percentile was exactly the same-23.6%
    Just curious if the number of ED applicants remained the same.
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Check post #220