Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Admissions Statistics Class of 2021: Early and Regular Decision Acceptance Rates

Replies to: College Admissions Statistics Class of 2021: Early and Regular Decision Acceptance Rates

• TestingearlyTestingearly Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    Also, the parent of a girl who had an 800 on SAT math. She visited MIT and hated it to the extent that she refused to apply, visit, or look at the brochure of any other school that had the word technical in it's name. DD2017 attends Stanford and I have already met two girls that were accepted at MIT but chose Stanford. Shortly after my daughter's visit to MIT, I attended a very large five day conference with many professors from MIT. I seemed to be on the same schedule as one of the MIT professors and we had breakfast and rode a van to the conference together on multiple occasions. I told her how much of a turn off the information session in particular had been when my daughter visited MIT and that she should give some feedback on the issue since we all want more women in stem. She told me to go complain to the president of MIT who was also at the conference but that as a mother of two girls she would never want them to attend MIT as undergrads. She said MIT kills their undergrads and it is better to wait and go to grad school there.
  • dragonmom3dragonmom3 Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    My D14 also had an 800 math SAT.
    Never considered MIT, CalTech or Mudd.
    Not for a minute.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    This thread has been enormously helpful and interesting over the last year. Now I just kinda like to see how long it goes, since ED/EA deadlines are starting come around for the Class of 2022.
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 4,773 Senior Member
    Hm, my son had a great time at MIT; he's still alive, so I guess he didn't get killed. :-) Oh, his wife had a great time, too, and she's still alive! Two for two! And we met about 60 of their friends at their wedding, and wouldn't you know it, they were all alive and happy to be at MIT. Different strokes for different folks. That's why there are lots and lots of colleges to choose from.

Ironically, MIT didn't get on my son's list until September/October of his senior year when he was flown there for a special program. He didn't think he wanted a STEM college, but after being flown to Princeton in the spring of senior year, he realized that was a distant third (after Mudd and MIT), and a STEM school was exactly what he wanted.

He did so many wonderful non-academic things at MIT (Cru, worship, IM flag football and softball, rooming chair, Next Act, had a sports talk radio show at 1 am for a semester, ran a music production company out of his dorm, etc.)-he was all about people. It was very magical meeting all of their friends at the wedding.
    MIT is certainly not for everyone, and there's a lot that could/should be changed when it comes to the stress (though some of that is self-imposed, sadly) , but my son and his wife loved it, miss it, and they plan to visit again for the MIT hunt in January just as they did last year.

Ok, off my ra-ra box, and back to the purpose of this thread. Sorry!!

• VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    Emory finally released their stats
    Emory college
    Applicants: 23,747
    Admitted: 5,234
    Enrolled: 1,407
    Acceptance Rate: 22%
    SAT-
    EBRW: 690-760
    Math: 690- 780
    (1380-1540)

ACT-
    31-34

GPA(Unweighted)-
    3.75- 3.98
  • eskafueskafu Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    trying to find Standford stats for Restrictive EA... Anyone?
  • GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Gatech released its EA number of applicants today. 17,700. Up 18% over last year.
  • TestingearlyTestingearly Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    @eskafu Stanford doesn't report stats for REA.
  • sbballersbballer Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    edited October 18
    Stanford's last stats for EA acceptance was 9.5%.. assume they are around that now.

Stanford announced that they were no longer supplying EA stats last year

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2016/12/10/in-break-from-past-stanford-declines-to-release-early-admissions-data/

I guess they got tired crowing about their increasing selectivity.
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    Or they didn't want people to be able to figure out how small the RD admit rate is, because RD apps might tank.
  • sbballersbballer Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    Stanford has been the most selective university the past 5 years... with an admit rate of 4.6%.. with the highest application fee of any university in the US. Somehow I don't think they're worrying about apps tanking:)
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    edited October 19
    I think my explanation makes more sense than yours, tbh. If Stanford acknowledges that its RD admit rate is 2%, or whatever it is, it stands to reason that some number of people won't bother applying, or application growth will slow. I think if you could disaggregate the secular growth in international (esp. Asian) applicants, you might find this is already having an effect.
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    I think @DeepBlue86 is onto something. I know that this article made some folks at Stanford squirm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/opinion/college-admissions-shocker.html?_r=0
  • Winky1Winky1 Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    I know that DeepBlue86's rationale makes sense to me - for example, my daughter has Penn on her list for RD schools, and I am not going to fan that flame. I really don't want her to agonize over that application if the admissions for RD at Penn are 4%, I think (not overall, just for RD). Feel free to correct me if my stats are wrong. It's just not a priority at all because of the slim chances, and I wouldn't be sad if she never gets to that application.
  • fivesagesfivesages Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    @DeepBlue86 @sbballer @Winky1 At this point, Stanford is one of the very few schools, if not the only school, where most of the applicants really don't pay too much attention to their acceptance rate. Whether it is 4% or 2%, they just don't want to regret not taking a chance at their dream school. I don't see it changing anytime soon.