Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Music Therapy Major - Far fetched?

musicdependantmusicdependant Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hello, I'm currently a sophomore in high school and we are beginning to explore and look into careers and potential majors. I have been very interested in music therapy for a while now and I really think it's something I'd like to pursue, and there are a decent amount of colleges around me that offer the major. However, I am concerned that I may not be able to get into a program. Of course every program has different necessary prerequisites and expectations, however from what I've seen, in order to get certified as a Music Therapy you have to demonstrate proficiency in voice, guitar, and piano. My main instrument is voice and I have been singing since I was very young. I am in the very beginning stages of learning guitar and have no experience with piano, mostly due to the fact my family didn't grow up with a whole lot of money and my parents aren't really involved in music. I never really had the opportunity to learn the instruments. I am fairly well versed in music, however, simply from doing it for such a long time, and I took Intro to Music Theory as an elective this year, and plan on taking A.P Music Theory next year (my junior year), as my school luckily offers it. I will also be taking Psychology next year. I understand that in order to become certified, I have to be proficient in guitar and piano, but I'm wondering if I will still be able to get into an undergraduate music therapy program at a college after high school despite my lack of knowledge in instrumentation. Should I start vigorously attempting to learn the two instruments before I audition for colleges (most likely during the fall of 2018)? I plan on beginning to learn them anyways, but I'm just wondering if it's a lost cause at this point, or if it's just highly unlikely. Any input/information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.