Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

Replies to: College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

• calmom17calmom17 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    If you go back and look at the article/chart....you will see that tuition/room and board (full price) has gone up about $10,000.00 which is closer to a 30% increase............. very relevant for those in the middle class that do not qualify for federal/state grants.
    with regard to above comment...that is in the last decade.....per that same chart
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    Meh, this article doesn't say much new. "The reality is that colleges and universities are not really that selective and even if there are those which are very hard-to-get-into institutions, they only comprise a very small percentage of the entire number of schools. There are still plenty of great schools to choose from."

This is the way it's always been....there are TONS of colleges and many of them are frantic to up their enrollment but the top 100 are always going to be harder....and I believe they'll get harder as the international enrollment swells....
    In looking at most "affordable" private school according to the major lists.....with only merit aid.....this link could be helpful if just starting to look... http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-private-colleges/index.php
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 57,816 Senior Member
    calmom17 wrote:
    Net price is what they arrive at AFTER they subtract federal funds/grants, state funds, scholarships, student AND parent LOANS that are offered.

Net price should mean price after subtracting grants and scholarships (not loans or work-study) from the list price. It would be misleading if it were used to denote the price after subtracting loans and work-study as well.
    @ucbalumnus I totally agree. it "should"....but it doesn't. If you use the Fafsa Forecaster, it automatically inputs both student loans and parent loans before you hit the "calculate" button. To use this tool effectively to determine just how large of a loan one will likely need, you have to delete those and enter 0. They also automatically input an "average" guess of what a persons assets are...which I find to be ridiculously low. Make sure to delete those and put in the correct amounts there too. In general, this gives a pretty close picture.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e1s1
    just google fafsa forecaster if the link doesn't work
    FAFSA4caster only estimates federal aid, not net price for any particular college.

A net price estimate for a particular college is best gotten from that college's net price calculator. (Though some colleges have better ones than others.)
    actually I have that wrong......the EFC will be the same if you 0 out the automatically generated loan and work study numbers, It is still deceiving though. What is generated in the tool for loans and work study is pretty low.....and that is IF you qualify for work study. So if the EFC remains high you will need to find a significant loan/merit scholarship to cover the rest of the cost of tuition/room/board if there is no cash on hand.
    What the Fafsa 4caster does is estimate the EFC amount the government eventually calculates for you.....if you use the tool, it shows the estimated EFC in tiny little letters. This, coupled with those net price calculators (though these don't work as well for transfer students as they are geared for freshmen).....helps to figure out how much may be out of pocket.

College Cost You Entered $ 35,000
    Total Aid Available
    This includes the federal student aid we estimated and any of the other aid you entered. (note: I did not add scholarships)
    $ 8,965
    Difference $26,035
    Your estimated EFC is ____.

Above is what the end result is on the Fafsa4caster....the estimated EFC I left blank here. Mine will be different than yours. My EFC is too high to qualify for more aid.
    If you enter a cost for college..I just chose state flagship college at $35,000... Fafsa4caster calculated I COULD be eligible for $8,965 in workstudy/loans (not free money) . The other 26,035 would have to be made up in cash,more loans or scholarships depending on that EFC..., which for most like me in the "middle class" is a number that likely will eliminate much else in federal/state grant aid.
    So basically, the "award" could be just potential work study (limited opportunity) and loans unless you fall into a merit or "special interest" category for a scholarship. When they call work study and loans "federal student aid".....it sort of implies that it is free...and that the "difference" is all that you have to worry about (which is surely enough as it is lol)
    Re: #41

Better would be just to use the college's own net price calculator, rather than try to extrapolate FAFSA4caster results to anything other than federal aid programs.
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,031 Senior Member
    @calmom17 Thanks for pointing out the "netting" involved in these graphs. If student loans, parent plus loans, and work study is involved then that explains everything. It definitely makes sense that people are paying $14K/year for a private school with the rest coming from loans. From the numbers I am seeing that is borrowing $30K/year. I guess that is the answer. The student takes out his $5,500 loan and the parent takes out a $25K loan. Who says college is not affordable? <sarcasm>.
  • cdhxyxcdhxyx Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    It might be easier to get into the top 100 colleges, but it is way harder to get into the top 10 or 15