Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

Replies to: College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

• PadreDeTresPadreDeTres Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    edited March 19
    Are there reliable data on the number of schools applied to per applicant? My impression is that the applicants with top stats are getting multiple acceptances, though they may be truly interested in a few schools and, obviously, can only attend one. I think the big spike in UC applications this year probably made it a lot harder for the Admissions people to determine which applicants are sincerely interested in their specific campus.

This season feels like an arms race. Back in the day, I applied and was accepted to one UC campus. Not so now. I think the article is misleading. Yes, it might be getting easier get into college. Just not the one you want.
  • PortercatPortercat Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    It will be interesting as the parent demographic changes from Boomer to Gen X. Overall the Gen X generation was hit really hard by the housing crisis and doesn't have the accumulated wealth to float college costs the same way, generally speaking as in the past. And college is more expensive. Bad combination.
  • ProudpatriotProudpatriot Registered User Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Gen X is also a much smaller demographic. There was a significant decrease in the birth rate from 1965-1980.
  • MommaLlamaMommaLlama Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    You are correct. We are a high need, single income family. Middle Class is no way $150K a year, that would be a luxury. My daughter is graduating with a 31 ACT and 4.85GPA, and has been offered very few scholarships and even the need based has been loaded with loans and student debt. It is a toss up to what and who each college is really looking for and willing to provide for aid and merit.
  • calmom17calmom17 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @MommaLama What is she interested in majoring in? Would she be interested in a small private college? With those stats she could possibly have qualified for a full ride. Not sure how flexible she is with regard to college or region....
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 980 Member
    I agree...there are some need blind schools or just other schools that would love a student with those stats that might be able to give her enough money to make it work.
  • PNWPNW Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Getting in is NOT getting easier. And top colleges don't offer merit scholarships, or even try that hard to make you like them. But I can say with 100% certainty that if you apply "beneath" yourself, you'll get lots of merit scholarships, like me. I have terrific extracurriculars (music, Eagle Scout), but weak leadership and no athletics. I have @ a 3.85 GPA, 4 AP classes senior year, and a 33 ACT. I was accepted into "junior IVY's" (the highly selective schools that are just half a step down from IVY's), without any $$. I was accepted into 3 more middle-reputation schools (3.65 GPA average) with $20,000 to $25,000 per year in merit scholarship. When I visited one, they gave me an extra $5,000 award. There are definitely options for middle class kids that do well in high school. Many of my neighbors chose schools that were "beneath" them, and they are a better fit and the price tag works.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,281 Senior Member
    A middle class kid can most likely only afford the local CC or the city state school.

They'll have plenty of company. That's where the majority of lower income students are.
    I completely agree with the "beneath" yourself comments. If you are a good student, you can find money.
  • MOMofFJMOMofFJ Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    If a student is obsessed with an Ivy or an elite school, they will have a hard time getting into college. A top student can get decent scholarship from a lesser known, but good school. There is nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond. I went to a top state college and my coworkers went to smaller LAC schools, we all get pay the same. Not every one who went Harvard is rich and famous.
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 1,979 Senior Member
    ^ "There is nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond."

I don't fully agree with that. It is fine to be in the 75% to 90% percentile on stats for that school as that is typically the range for merit scholarships and honors college places. However, I would be wary of any school where my kid is above the 90th percentile as there is a chance that your kid could often be "the smartest guy in the room" and hence he/she would not be fully challenged intellectually.
  • stoneheadstonehead Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Totally agree... Specially for Asian kids although there is substantial decrease in birth rate.
  • acron611acron611 Registered User Posts: 376 Member
    I partially don't agree with this statement. Although the lower ranked schools are getting somewhat easier to get into due to a low demand, the higher ranked schools have become such a nightmare to get accepted into. These days, kids submit more and more apps, driving the acceptance rates down.

Of course, most colleges aren't bad and anybody can succeed in any of them, but I felt this article was a little misleading especially in regards to the more "prestigious" institutions.
    It does seem like the hardest schools are harder than ever to get in, but that it's getting easier at the, for lack of a better word, "non-elite". If there truly is less demand overall (due to population?), it will be interesting to see if more elite and top schools start using their waitlists more.

Sorry if this has been asked already but when a school accepts someone off of their waitlist, does that action get incorporated into their RD or overall acceptance rate?
  • whyamisuchanerdwhyamisuchanerd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    ^ following