Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

Replies to: I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 5,484 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    You and tens of thousands of others might be competitive, but you will possibly not get into your top choices. That's the way the game works. You may well have lost. You aren't excited about Emory, why did you apply? You had safeties, but what about your matches? It's not either tippy top reach schools, or safeties, with hardly anything in between, especially with Tulane.

You should have put more effort inot match schools that you liked and had a good shot of getting into, and it seems like you didn't. Sorry to sound harsh, but at least you have colleges to go to. Come back to this board in early April and you will see a few posts enititled "I didn't get in anywhere."
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,421 Senior Member
    @Lindagaf: Possibly no need for matches if safeties are better than any matches from a cost/benefit perspective.

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 50,850 Senior Member
    Did you apply for the Emory Scholars and were instead awarded the Oxford scholars, or did you apply directly for th Oxford scholars?
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    edited March 13
    @Lindagaf I understand what you're saying, and I am grateful that I have somewhere to go. I think @PurpleTitan summed up my situation best, in which my safety (UCSB) would be better than most matches from a cost perspective. My parents discussed with me that I would likely be staying in-state for financial reasons unless I made it into a tippy-top school, so there was no reason to find lots of matches. The only matches I applied to were ones where I thought I could qualify for merit aid (Emory, USC, Tulane).

@jym626 I applied for both, but I didn't really know much about Oxford at the time. I just wanted to keep my options open.

@Postmodern I am so grateful to have a response that is not critical. Thank you for your kind words.
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    @websensation I very much appreciate the kind words. I decided film would be impractical to major in, but I'll definitely take a lot of film classes in college for fun.

@PurpleTitan "Then chill in the serenity that nothing is promised in life and that you should only worry about things you can control."
    That is a great quote.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,421 Senior Member

Don't assume that something is impractical if you have the chance to be great at something, you have the passion for it, and that something also amply rewards those who are the best at it.

And thanks.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    edited March 13
    @ambitionsquared, @PurpleTitan Film study is not impractical if you are talented in that area, and it seems you are. There are so many people's stories to be told by a good film maker like Ken Burns. It would be a loss for you and the world if you did not pursue that area imo. That's what you love to do. Heck, if my kid was talented in this area, I would support him all the way to the best film school he can get into and forget Stanford. Looking at it the other way, my kid is going to Stanford because he's not as talented as you are in the film making area. lol Another example: If my kid was a very good cook and interested in becoming a chef, I would say forget about Stanford and go to another college. Who needs Stanford or Harvard when you are a great cook?
  • TimeUpJuniorTimeUpJunior Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    OP, if you feel that you are at the bottom now, the only way for you to go is up. My kid has similar profile like yours with high stats and very spiked ECs. He loves making films too, but not anywhere close to what you've achieved. He got differed at Harvard, rejected merit at USC, got in Emory with Oxford scholar finalist and Vanderbilt with merit. Maybe Stanford didn't see a fit for you there? Maybe USC would like you to apply to their film school?

You will do fine at the end and get in most of the schools you applied to. Relax!
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    When Scorsese/Lucas/Spielberg/Coppola are put to rest, what school they attended will be barely mentioned in their obituary if at all.

Lucas and Spielberg both have buildings named after them at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. It is probably the best school in the country for what the OP wants to do, and he/she was accepted. Frankly, if I were the OP, I would have USC SCA at the top of my list and be very happy to have gotten in.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    In post #9, OP says s/he hasn't been admitted to USC (yet).
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Tulane is just bc they think you won't come. So it's not an indicator of much.

Only God knows why anyone is denied or accepted to Stanford. Not an indicator of much.

Carry on as planned. Don't let anything shake you. You went for it. Just wait and see. Don't throw in the towel after the first round just bc the crowd cheered for someone else! Get back out there, keep your head up and continue on until the end. And let us know what happened! Good luck to you!