Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

Replies to: I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

• lz57c4lz57c4 Registered User Posts: 429 Member
    OP, I agree with @PurpleTitan esp with ROI as the main consideration. You can save bucks, have an AWESOME ug experience at Rice, and then do Penn for MBA. You'll have the best of both worlds with that approach. Almost a no-brainer. Congrats and good luck with your decision.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,244 Senior Member
    I think OP should chose Rice for financial reasons but for those of you who have formed opinions of Philly and haven't been recently, there is a huge resurgence going on in the city, especially around Penn.
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    My Oxford scholarship recently got bumped from 20k per year to 48k per year! I would be paying about 37k per year for Rice and 17k per year for Oxford/Emory. I would likely prefer Rice between the two, but the merit award at Oxford/Emory is certainly tempting. Any advice?
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    Congrats!

What do your parents think about the money?

What do you think about the money?

What about fit and possible career goals?

$80K would pay for an elite 1 year Masters.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,484 Senior Member
    Wow, congratulations!!
    The Oxford/Emory scholarship is really good and if your parents would agree on banking the savings, it's pay for part of your MBA.
    Rice vs. Oxford/Emory, I'd pick Oxford/Emory in that case. :) But it's a case where you can't make a wrong choice!
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 333 Member
    Are you attending Owl Days or one of the Admit Days at Rice? If so, that will give you the true flavor of Rice. My D is also trying to decide between Rice and Emory College. She is attending a Rice Admit Day and also visiting the Emory College Atlanta campus soon. Is your scholarship to attend Oxford or the Emory College Atlanta campus? The Oxford (rural) campus is very different than the metro Atlanta campus. Oxford students spend the first two years at Oxford then go to Emory's Atlanta campus for the last two years. If possible make sure you visit Oxford before you make a decision.
  • WISdad23WISdad23 Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    Follow the money. It's college, not a post-doctoral program in nuclear physics. The 4 year difference is $80,000. How long will it take you, in the career you anticipate now, to generate an extra $80K in disposable income? The highest annual income of non-STEM college graduates is ~$50,000. If your impression of Atlanta is so-so and you end up back in high-tax California, you will have virtually no disposable income after college. You might rationalize the cost if your parents are paying for it, but they are no different than you. Besides, you might inherit the difference someday.

Seriously, it should not be all about money. But when you have very little of your own and have the opportunity to go to one great school or a second great school, and one comes with an $80,000 gift... Seems straightforward.
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    edited April 8
    At this point, it seems pretty tough to justify Penn when Emory/Oxford is 220k cheaper. I should also note that Rice only requires me to maintain a 2.8 GPA during college to keep my scholarship (avg. gpa there is 3.55); Oxford requires me to maintain a 3.4 GPA to keep my scholarship (can't find any official data, but heard from a student there that avg. gpa is 2.9-3.0). Rice might be safer in that regard.

@PurpleTitan One parent wants me to go to Rice, and the other wants me to go to Penn. I didn't feel a great fit at emory, but it is def a great school. Didn't like Oxford, but it would only be two years. I would like to pursue an MBA, so that money could come in handy.

@MYOS1634 Thanks! If I go to Rice, I'll be primarily responsible for paying for a masters. If I go to Emory, they said they could use the saved money to cover most of grad school.

@Houston1021 The scholarship would be for Oxford campus, but would continue through my 2 years at Emory. I didn't like Oxford's campus (very small) and the geographic location (pretty isolating). I will be doing owl days soon.

@WISdad23 Thank you for your input.

BTW, would Berkeley (31k per year) be worth considering over both Rice and Emory?
    Rice's scholarship definitely seems safer.

You certainly could consider Cal, but it seems like most people are even willing to pay up for the extra resources of a rich private.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,286 Senior Member
    edited April 8
    I'd go with Rice over Oxford/Emory for several reasons: 1) Rice is a better school with more resources, highly engaged faculty and happier students (if you loved the Oxford/Emory setup, that would be one thing, but you don't, so I don't see that as a great option); 2) the GPA required to maintain scholarships is much more reasonable at Rice than at O/E; 3) you are not a big fan of Oxford -- the first two years of your entire college career represents a significant chunk of time, esp. if you have any any thoughts of studying abroad.

My daughter had to choose between scholarship weekends at both Emory and Wash U. (Emory would have been for a potential full-ride Woodruff/Emory Scholarship; Wash U was for a maximum of full tuition). She chose to attend the Wash U. weekend and never looked back (The same can be said for another CCer whose mom and I have chatted as our daughters have had similar tough choices to make). For the record, my D also got the $28K from Rice and probably would have taken that over a full ride at Emory, but YMMV.

I don't think that Penn is worth a large premium over Rice, but I do think that Rice is absolutely worth a premium over Oxford/Emory and that Rice is a much better choice than either UCLA or Cal. @robotrainbow, @MYOS1634, and @jym626 have given you a good overview of some of what Rice has to offer, and I think that the benefits of a private university in terms of class size, resources, undergraduate focus, and the ability to graduate in four years make UCLA/Cal a less than ideal option for a liberal arts education.
    "Oxford requires me to maintain a 3.4 GPA to keep my scholarship"

wow! I've never heard of a scholarship requirement that high. It would give me pause.
    @doschicos: A&M's NMF scholarship had some crazy high GPA requirement. 3.5 or something like that.

Nice way to get high stats in to your admitted class profile but partially limit what you have to pay out.
    Seems restrictive to me though. I think part of college should be exploring new areas of potential interest. High GPA requirements could allow for less risk taking and experimentation. At colleges I am familiar with, there is a huge chasm between a 3.0 and 3.4/3.5.
    @doschicos: Colleges may be doing this for their benefit and not the student's.
    Yeah, I get that. My concern is more for the student, however. The extra $ from Oxford/Emory is nice but the higher GPA requirement and it's related concerns needs to be factored into the decision making process.