Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

Replies to: I feel so discouraged (Shut out by EA schools)

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 27,706 Senior Member
    Right now it sounds like your heart is set on Rice. Since it's affordable, go with it.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 50,560 Senior Member
    Is the Oxford scholarship only for the 2 years you'd be at Oxford ro all 4 years int he Emory system? I am familiar with both Emory and Rice. I personally prefer Rice for multiple reasons. Feel free to PM me for more info.
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    edited April 9
    @jym626 It would be for 2 years at Oxford plus 2 years at Emory (48k per year for 4 years).
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    Rice is a great school but definitely is more known for STEM. It's a counterpart to Brown.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 50,560 Senior Member
    Rice is great for STEM but has other fabulous programs- the conservatory is just one.

Just ran the "Rice vs Emory" on Parchment. When students had both choice, 84% chose Rice, 16% chose Emory.
  • lz57c4lz57c4 Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    Hey ambition, what did you decide?
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    @ambitionsquared How was your Owl Days experience? The video summary posted by Rice on their website looked great. My D goes to a 1 day Admit Day next Monday.
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    edited April 20
    @lz57c4 Still not sure.
    @Houston1021 I had a really great time at Owl Days. They took great care of me there, everyone was incredibly welcoming.

I definitely prefer Rice over Emory, but I've been having some second thoughts. I feel like I might have a higher GPA and less competition for internships at Emory, since the caliber of students there is (on average) a bit less strong than that of Rice. Then again, maybe my gpa would be about the same when factoring in Oxford grade deflation. However, I feel like I could never experiment with other majors (maybe comp sci or stats) at Oxford-Emory because I would be nervous about my GPA dropping below threshold to keep scholarship (3.4).

I have also been thinking about the more expensive schools (mainly Penn and Duke). My parents decided that they could pay 220k, so I would only have to borrow 60k total. They also said that there are some things that might work out well in the future (certain stocks, business ventures etc.), so my expected contribution could decrease further. I loved Penn when I visited recently. A "name brand" degree isn't the primary factor in my decision (I would choose Rice over Cornell/Berkeley), but I must confess it is enticing to have the prestige that comes with such a well-known school like Penn. I realize that sounds materialistic/vain (and I apologize for that), but my folks share that sentiment (they both like wearing their new Penn gear lol). However, thanks to their incredible generosity and hard work (for which I will always be grateful), I could instead go to Rice and use the 80k left over for grad school.
  • lz57c4lz57c4 Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    Not intending to be harsh, but I encourage you to choose your school for the right reasons. not whether you parent like the shirts, or whether penn is ranked higher in usnwr. Rice is at the same tier, that's all you need to know. Beyond that it boils down to specifics of what you're looking for.

If you want to pay twice as much for the same quality, I guess that's your choice (along with your folks). Think ROI. Those would be some $120k sweatshirts I guess.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 8,912 Senior Member
    I also wouldn't assume that it's easier to get a higher GPA at Emory.
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    $120k sweatshirts ... or downpayment on a home ... or no sweat buying a car. Also, don't make any assumptions about GPA odds. That is ALL on you, and what courses you select and how you do in them. But I *would* worry about a GPA-restrictive scholarship. That's a real danger factor.

If you had hated Rice, or if there were some really significant gap in what you could do there, different story, but you didn't and you haven't identified such a gap. This seems to be all about the allure of (perceived/misguided) bragging rights, and we're trying to help you steer clear of that.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 8,912 Senior Member
    The think to keep in mind, too, is that bragging rights are transient.

Some of us here remember a time when Penn was ranked roughly where Cornell is now by USNews (and had a higher admit rate than Cornell). So would you be happy attending Cornell? Why or why not?

It wouldn't take a big change, either. The huge drop in urban crime over the past 2 decades has fueled the rise of urban unis like Penn/Columbia/Chicago/USC/NYU in the rankings.

But if we have a crime wave or urban riots again like we saw in the '60's, suddenly, rural schools like Cornell and Dartmouth will start looking more appealing and you'll start seeing the urban school drop in the rankings.
  • LjtjroseLjtjrose Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    It is so, so easy to get caught up in the emotions from the last few months, particularly when your parents are getting swept up in the same euphoria. And you will never know for sure how your life might have been different if you attended that "other school" (whether the "other school" ends up being Penn, Rice or Emory).

But understand that the schools are businesses and they consider ROI (return on investment) when making decisions, whether the decision involves investments or deciding which students to admit. It is possible that your parents have so much money that they value a school's reputation and "name brand" over everything else. If they are insistent on you attending Penn and they are telling you not to worry about the money, I can't tell you to go elsewhere.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of the other posters who responded earlier today saying that (1) Rice is a phenomenal choice and that (2) RIce + $120,000 > than Penn. Both schools are great and most ranking services suggest that the difference is negligible. You can and will most likely will have an amazing experience at either place. Congratulations on your great choices.