Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got rejected from my STATE school_ What am I doing wrong?

Replies to: I got rejected from my STATE school_ What am I doing wrong?

• cody27cody27 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @Lindagaf I appreciate the honesty in your response. I do not want to stay in-state, but UF was a great safety school (if I were denied from the other out-of-state universities). Reflecting on the acceptance rates from the out-of-state universities that I applied to, and comparing them to UF is exactly what is making me worry. I have no interest in staying in-state but I could have handled going to UF. The other in-state universities.... not so much. I think the problem with my college application process is that I applied to in-state schools thinking that they would be a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. After visiting and researching the programs they offered (in-depth), I realized that they were not right for me. Of course, the applications were already submitted and I had been accepted.

I am realizing that I will have to decide to attend one of them and later transfer to a LAC. (If all things don't go as planned). Hey, I guess it is part of becoming an adult :/.

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 4,890 Senior Member
    You can only borrow $5500/year and transfers don't get much aid. How are you planning to pay for these OOS schools? Can your family afford them?
    edited March 17
    @austinmshauri . I applied to some private universities that meet 100% of the financial need of the students (Only 5). After analyzing (with financial aid calculators) and researching, I applied to those that I thought that I could afford. Also, to those that I am willing to go into debt for (my top choice, but I wasn't admitted). I also applied to scholarships and received some. I am hoping to receive merit aid from those private unies that I applied to ( I received a 30k/year offer from one of them and I am waiting for FA). For other costs, I plan on working in college and using savings.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 4,575 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    If indeed you don't mind staying in Florida and plan to transfer to an LAC, then you should check out the New College as others suggested.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,075 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    You would need to visit New College before applying--it is very different both in culture and academics.
    University of Miami is very expensive.
  • 123Mom456123Mom456 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    edited March 17
    You did nothing wrong and you will end up at the place that is right for you. You didn't say what your first choice was but the thing is that schools just don't have enough space for all the qualified students. Schools are getting record number of applicants but the number of students they can accommodate has not risen at the same rate. They didn't reject you because of something you did but they just didn't have room to accept you. Hold your head high and you will end up at a place that is good for you.
  • edgeook8edgeook8 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Definitely appeal! That said, I was also rejected to UF but accepted (so far) to New College (which, as stated, is a FANATASTIC option) and Boston College. I received guaranteed housing all 4 years at BC which is apparently reserved for top 15% of applicants. I'm also a URM and I don't think that it counts for much at UF. Plus, with so many applications, I fear that, while UF does strive to be holistic, other schools might be able to give your app a fuller read. FWIW my SATs were the same as yours, but ACT was higher relative to my SAT.

Don't have time to read through this thread fully ATM but will do so tonight. GOOD LUCK TO US!
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 4,890 Senior Member
    I applied to those that I thought that I could afford. Also, to those that I am willing to go into debt for

YOU can only borrow ~$5500/year. You said you couldn't afford to take the SAT more than twice, so how will your parents be able to pay for you to go OOS?
    @austinmshauri. I've applied for a pell grant and financial aid. My parents are willing to work in order to support me financially. Yes, there are times when we have financial issues (where we cannot afford to pay for something), However, that doesn't mean that it is impossible to afford out-of-state. Also, with some of the scholarships that I received, I think I should be able to afford to go OOS. I will wait for the financial aid responses from most of the college to see what my next strategy will be :).
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 4,873 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    On the positive, you're very lucky to be in Florida. All of the state public universities are very affordable (yearly tuition around $6,300 a year), and we get Bright Futures. Hopefully you qualify for the highest level (FAS requires a 1290+ on the SAT), and that may be increasing this year to cover 100% of tuition (+$300 a semester for books). The state legislature is also looking at ways to double the state funding match for a program that supports “first generation” students attending state universities or colleges.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/os-florida-senate-bright-futures-scholarships-20170124-story.html

Finacially, attending a state public university may end up being for the best. :)

Good Luck!
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons Registered User Posts: 3,647 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    Yes, there are times when we have financial issues (where we cannot afford to pay for something), However, that doesn't mean that it is impossible to afford out-of-state.

I have one daughter your age (and one one year younger), and we can afford to pay for "everything". Except out of state private LAC tuition. I won't allow her to take on staggering debt and narrow her choices. I am absolutely not being snarky with you when I tell you when you say stuff like the above, it means you don't know the size of the hole of debt you're potentially digging yourself into.

You are smart and ambitious; don't fall for the prestige gambit and saddle yourself with horrible debt for undergrad. That's for wealthy kids who need a lot of hand holding and snowflake massaging. Follow the money for undergrad, crush it there, and then you'll have some really nice options for graduate school.
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,232 Senior Member
    Some FL kids actually prefer FL State to UF. Did you apply to Rollins?

Also, if you live innSE Florida, then going north in Fl will feel like an adventure.
    @bookworm during my junior year, I visited FSU. It was not a great experience. I didn't really like it, but something bad happened there that's not even worth talking about :(.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 27,045 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    You didn't make a mistake during application, you do when you refuse to appeal at UF. Sure, you may not be enarmored with it but it's a good choice for a student your caliber. You want it as a backup if possible.
    For what it's worth I do think they made a mistake. For instance this year there were errors at some large public's (not pointing the finger at any specific one) because some kids had Sat scores put of 2400 and others out of 1600. And if at your school a 1390/2400 isn't unthinkable and the past ten applicants from your school had scores out of 2400 and the staff making the summary sheet only had 5mn... See where I'm going?

You can still apply to NCF. Public liberal arts honors college.
    And FAU 'S Wilkes College is another small honors college with its own campus.

You could run the NPC on a few other colleges still accepting applications : Hendrix, Truman State, UMN Morris. Perhaps Gustavus Adolphus, St Michael's?