Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got rejected from my STATE school_ What am I doing wrong?

124»

Replies to: I got rejected from my STATE school_ What am I doing wrong?

• Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I'm not a math major, but how is it possible to have a 3.6 UW AND A 5.3 W GPA? So that like getting an extra 1.7 grade points PER CLASS? Something doesn't add up.
  • 18yrcollegemin18yrcollegemin Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    I believe Florida public schools give an extra 2 points for an AP/IB/DE class and an extra 1 point for honors classes.
  • cody27cody27 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @Muad_dib Im in IB, took a couple of DE, and lots of AP classes. That's what it says for my cumulative gpa and w gpa on my transcript.
  • cody27cody27 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    edited March 20
    @Muad_dib I believe AP and IB is worth 6 points, honors is worth (4.5+ or something, forgot) regular is worth 4. The only regular class that I've taken was regular aerobics for half of semester, and then all AP or IB
  • MomofAlex1MomofAlex1 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Cody, I salute your maturity and growth. It reads as though you've some tough obstacles yet you persevered and that says a great deal about you - and all of it positive. My condolences on your losses. I mean that.
    Congratulations on continuing your research into the best options for you.

Most colleges figure your weighted GPA on core classes only. Honors will give an extra .5 of a point. IB, AP, and DE courses will give you a full point more. It makes no difference on which, it will be a point.

I look forward to reading of your final decision and am sure that it will be the perfect option for you (for you'll make it so) as you step forward into your future.
    (I believe too the universe is listening to your internal voice even if you are not - you do not want a large, public school and "it" is trying to only help steer you towards where you ultimately really want to be).
    Remember, there is always undergrad to work hard, make contacts, NOT go into debt, and then go to GRAD school. At that level, you will have more options, choices, scholarships, etc. through the hard work, contacts, and mentoring you're sure to find. :)

@dad, not sure why it would not be a competitive school? It reads to me it is...
  • Jamrock411Jamrock411 Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    edited March 21
    cody27 wrote:
    @MYOS1634 Yes, the other in-state universities that I applied to were UCF and FAU. I didn't really like the atmosphere at UCF (too crowded, lower chances at obtaining an opportunity), so I definitely won't be attending there. I applied to FAU, and its Honors college in Jupiter. Although I applied to FAU and visited, I didn't visit the Honors College yet (so I am not sure how I will feel about it). I got into the Honors College too and I am hoping to visit soon (probably during spring break). I heard that there are two research institutes ( Max Planck and Scripps). One of which has a great program in neuroscience (A friend of mine did an internship there). That definitely made me think about my in-state options. Even when I don't want to stay in-state. Anyways, if I do decide to stay in-state and pursue in neuroscience, I don't know how the institution will support my interest in political science. (Which I am really passionate about also).

@cody27, I think you should visit FAU Wilkes Honors College in Jupiter. Excellent research opportunities at Scripps Research Institute-Florida, which is a 5-minute walk from FAU Jupiter campus (it is actually right there on campus). Some of Scripps research is closely aligned with your interest...
    Much of the work at Scripps Florida is dedicated to basic biomedical research, a vital segment of medical research that seeks to decipher the most fundamental processes of life. Additionally, researchers at Scripps Florida are developing advanced technologies and applying these tools to the discovery of new therapeutic agents for a variety of devastating human diseases. Among others, these include: HIV/AIDS, cancer, depression, diabetes, hepatitis C, leishmaniasis (a tropical and sub-tropical parasitic disease), obesity, prion disease, Parkinson's disease, and diseases of learning and memory including Alzheimer's disease, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and autism.

Very small class size, with many classes with 10-students or less. The total student population is ~2,500 students and if my memory serves me right, they cover full tuition and you will only have to cover Room & Board. Their dorm (Quad) has their own bedroom.

One of my kids who was rejected at UF, but got accepted to all the other Florida PublicU (UCF, FSU, FIU) and Umich, University of Miami, etc., was seriously considering FAU Wilkes. S/he elected to attend UMiami on a full tuition scholarship, although FAU Wilkes would have been my first choice school, if it was my decision. NCF is also an excellent suggestion, although it doesn't offer the same research opportunities as FAU Wilkes Honors College.

I would forget about University of Miami, since your SAT score doesn't make you competitive for much, if any, merit-aid and it is debatable if you would get in with your GPA/SAT scores. I know a number of URM with much better GPA/SAT at Umiami and all they got was half-tuition, which is not much, given their $60K/yr price tag.
124»