Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Do other decisions effect your chances at similar institutions?

ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
After getting rejected at JHU and Northwestern, do these decisions affect my chances at similar acceptance rate institutions like Cornell and Dartmouth? As in is it fair to say that if I didn't get in JHU and Northwestern I wont get into Dartmouth and Cornell? or those colleges different enough were it is still a toss-up?

Replies to: Do other decisions effect your chances at similar institutions?

• optimisticloloptimisticlol Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I too am currently a senior and also got rejected from Swarthmore, JHU and NU. How does this affect my chances of getting into Berkeley and ivies like Columbia, Penn and Brown? I thought I was a competitive applicant (34 ACT and 3.89 uw GPA and an IB diploma candidate) but it looks like the competition at my school and the 3 Bs I got first semester of senior year may be harming me more than I thought. I am really feeling anxious now for the rest of my college results.
  • ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @optimisticlol we have ironically similar stats. I too have a 34 ACT and similar situation with 2 B's in senior year. My GPA is weird so idk how I compare that way cause my school has a college grading system. Berkeley should be fine I got in regents so you should get in regular
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    No, there's no effect.
  • parka11parka11 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @optimisticlol I can't believe our stats are so similar! I also have 34 ACT, got rejected from JHU and NU, waiting on Berkeley, Columbia, Brown, and Penn, 3 B's first semester senior year, AND 3.89 uw GPA. Wish you the best :)
  • GeoffWii2GeoffWii2 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    No. My son got into Stanford, CalTech and UVa but got rejected from NU. You'll get into a school that fits you. Good luck
  • nugraddadnugraddad Registered User Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    Link may give you help in an area in need of improvement, and increase your chance of successful applications: https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/affect-effect/
  • Meganerd2012Meganerd2012 Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    @nugraddad
    The OP used the correct word. Affect is a verb; effect is a noun.

@ANormalSeniorGuy
    One college decision won't directly affect another, but there might be something in your file that may lead to a similar result (such as low GPA or test scores). You should keep a positive mindset as you'll get accepted where it is the best fit.
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    What @happy1 said. Also, these are all effectively lottery schools, with admit rates maybe in the low teens. They're a crapshoot regardless, and your stats, while good, don't make you exceptional for their applicant pool. So really there's no way to tell. Hopefully you've each applied broadly enough that you'll have good options regardless. (I see Berkeley in the mix for OP, yes? Nice option to have!)
  • nugraddadnugraddad Registered User Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    @Meganerd2012 - I do not want to derail the OP. However, the OP did not use the correct word in the title. Please view: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/affect-vs-effect/

BTW - If there are any other comments about my post, or effect vs affect, PLEASE PM me - so we do NOT derail the OP! Thanks.
  • ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @porcupine98 That is great advice! I was accepted early to Berkeley and have gotten a regents interview, but i have had a recent string of bad luck with college acceptances of the privates. You can see into my profile that I have done a chance thread and so you can see my stats there for better reference, it is mostly the same. Do you think there is an idea of a student better for Public applications vs. Private applications? As a majority of my public schools accepted me but so far a majority of my private schools rejected me.
  • acron611acron611 Registered User Posts: 376 Member

No, college decisions will not have an impact on others in the future.

good luck
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 15,597 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    There is no such thing as a student better for a public school than a private school. As noted elsewhere, all of the schools you have mentioned are super competitive so no matter how good your application is, you can't bank on an acceptance. I'm glad you have Berkeley acceptance in hand already so really any other acceptances should be considered a bonus.
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    Well, some admissions processes are more "holistic" than others, so it's possible that an application with strong stats and not-as-strong ECs (or vice versa) might generally fare better in one quest than another, but I'm not saying that's the case for you. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

And I promise you won't even care about this a few months from now. You're going to be off an a new adventure. It's all good. Congratulations!
  • ChartresBlueChartresBlue Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    No school decision affects any other school's decision. To the extent that acceptance to (or rejection at) X can have a predictive effect on acceptance/rejection at Y (I guess this might be called predicting cross-admits, or cross-rejections, or cross-waitlists?), well, that's another question, and one probably for a statistician. In the absence of that objective data, I would say no. All decisions will be in soon enough, but I understand the stress and the grasping for any kind of data while waiting.