Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Surprised you were rejected, wait listed, accepted, 2021

Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
Surprised my daughter was rejected Colby
Surprised my daughter was wait listed Kenyon
Surprised she was accepted to U-Mass Honors as she didn't meet one of the qualifications.
1450 SAT, 3.91GPA, 8 ap's, needed financial aid, white female, middle income.

Replies to: Surprised you were rejected, wait listed, accepted, 2021

• Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    Surprised my nephew was accepted to Boston College as it seems many with stats higher than his were rejected. Surprised, but happy about it!
  • yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Surprised to be accepted at Middlebury given that I didn't visit, but excited about it!
    Also surprised with a waitlist at Swarthmore, totally expected a rejection from them.
  • acron611acron611 Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    Surprised about BU rejection.
  • Goolia66Goolia66 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Surprised was rejected by UC Santa Cruz
    Surprised was accepted to Cal Poly (but happy)
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 1,976 Senior Member
    It would be great if you could list basic stats that you were comfortable revealing, like GPA / Test scores.

• FaultystartFaultystart Registered User Posts: 1,132 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    super surprised (like, happy-surprised) i was waitlisted at uchicago (3.6uw, 35 act)
  • 6zibellis6zibellis Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Super Surprised and disappointed my daughter waitlisted by Boston college
    Excited she was waitlisted at uchicago
    (3.97 unweighted gpa; 34 act; currently taking 5 APs; over 500 Hours community service)
    Now nervous about Ivies and ND...ugh
  • Meganerd2012Meganerd2012 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    Super surprised and happy that I was accepted to Reed and Georgia Tech.

Super surprised and disappointed that I was waitlisted by UChicago...I really don't know why I feel like it would have been better to be rejected than waitlisted, but I guess it just adds to the stress I have about next year (not knowing where I want to go).
  • JpgranierJpgranier Registered User Posts: 1,179 Senior Member
    Surprised by the merit money given to me by some schools.

Case Western: 32.5k/year
    SMU: 36.5k/year
    Cal Poly SLO: 1k/year (this isn't a lot, but I was under the impression they gave no money to OOS students, so I was surprised.

I thought I would get into WashU, but I remembered I scheduled an interview then canceled it last minute which, because I wasn't interested any more, they probably saw right through and didn't want someone who wasn't interested in their school.

Surprised by GaTech big time. I was flat rejected from their EA. I thought I'd at least get waitlisted... I'm valedictorian and 34 super score, but admissions must've been steep. I felt a little better after my friend was also rejected, top 5% and NMF.
  • jellybeanjjellybeanj Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    edited March 20
    I like this thread!

Surprised that I got accepted to UC Irvine with Honors (honor programs never even crosses my mind).
    Surprised I got waitlisted at UC Davis.
    Surprised I got rejected from Cal Poly.

32 ACT
    1340 New SAT
    4.0 UW, 4.17 W, 4.25 UC GPA
    CS
  • CathJRCathJR Registered User Posts: 403 Member
    Somewhat surprised about the BU acceptance when I saw tons of higher stat kids get rejected. Applied to College of Communications for Television and Film, 2010/1320 Old/New SAT, something like a 3.7 GPA.
  • Dogcat73Dogcat73 Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    surprised that I got rejected by WashU in St Louis (gpa: 3.83/4.0--> I made. thread about my GPA but found out it's out of 4.0, not 4.3), SAT 1510/1600)
  • jon2021jon2021 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Surprised I got into WashU St. Louis, Middlebury, and University of Michigan (Pre-admit for Ross)
    Surprised I got rejected from Cornell ED

GPA:4.4 Weighted/3.89 Unweighted
    ACT: 32 (33 superscore)

Have taken most rigorous curriculum
    12 APs:
    9th grade: ap human geo
    10th grade: ap calc ab, ap physics I/II, ap chemistry
    11th grade: ap calc bc, ap biology, ap lang
    12th grade: ap statistics, ap enviro, ap computer science a, ap literature, ap economics

Recommendations: 9/10 (Really good counselor recommendation)
    Ec's: Very strong in my opinion (Various leadership positions, volunteer every week)
  • 2017journalismhopeful2017journalismhopeful Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    Absolutely shocked about a Northwestern acceptance to freaking Medill (i have a 3.8 UW GPA and not nearly as intense a courseload/EC load/awards as people from my school who got in) and mildly surprised about a UCLA waitlist (i expected flat out rejection i had NO interest)