Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Is there such thing as a good public school applicant but a bad private school applicant?

ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 279 Junior Member
edited March 20 in College Admissions
I have heard back from almost all of my public school applications and have gotten all accepts (including UC Berkeley and LA) except for two deferrals (Michigan and Virginia), tbd on the final decision. However, I have gotten rejected or deferred from many private schools (Northwestern, Johns hopkins, WUSTL, and more). Is here such thing as a good public school applicant but a bad private school applicant? For reference, check my chance me thread for my stats and profile.

Thanks so much!

Replies to: Is there such thing as a good public school applicant but a bad private school applicant?

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Registered User Posts: 7,725 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    nvm. Misread
  • CathJRCathJR Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    I guess it might be that public schools depend more on stats while private schools are holistic decisions. So if somebody were to have really high stats and average essays and/or LoRs and/or ECs that might cause the difference. That's just a guess though.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    Almost all the private schools have lower acceptance rates than publics, generally speaking. I would guess that is the main factor.