Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Rwandan teen gets 4 Ivy League acceptances

1235»

Replies to: Rwandan teen gets 4 Ivy League acceptances

• BigflowerSusieBigflowerSusie Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Just be upfront about this.. you ever notice how the top schools brag about the incoming class comes from XX states and YY countries. I ask - how many applications these schools get from Rwanda? Then the second fact to consider is - this girl took the mandatory national graduation exam and scored at the top - so how many of the same top score kids from Rwanda apply to the same schools. The ACT 29 is a reflection of BOTH her ability and her environment. I do worry about an admission of someone who can not handle the classwork, but obviously, the admissions office of these schools think an ACT29 is enough to cross the threshold. I don't care if the girl is black, green or blue, the fact that she is applying from a small country with very few of her peers to compete in the admission pool, the fact that she is "top' from her country then.. the whole situation becomes more clear and obvious. JMHO.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    edited April 7
    The only thing about 29 ACT score that I take an issue is with an attitude of some posters that because the applicant is from Rwanda that 29 is a great score; and yes, I believe one can get 34, 35, and 36 in ACT no matter which country they are from. Yes, as many have noted, she must have had a lot of good stuff. No disagreement there. I would have accepted her to my college if I had one.
    By the way, calling people "racists" just because they disagree on some points is not the kind of kid I would accept to my college, but again, everyone has different ideas.
    edited April 7
    @BigflowerSusie That's just it; from the article, the way I interpreted it, I don't think her score in the Rwanda national exam is all that awesome. Got no idea but just my take from the article. Therefore, I don't think they focused on one particular aspect and said "Wow, she got an awesome ACT or score on National Exam." I think her score on National Exam was pretty good but not awesome from Rwanda standards. Maybe someone from Rwanda can elaborate, but that's the impression I got from reading the article carefully.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 22,801 Senior Member
    See her on Linked In.
    It's not all about stats. Absolutely nothing says some higher scorer fro her country had a better presentation.

Some need to get away from the notion high stats is all that will define a kid's potential. Or that someone with a higher number should have been more desirable. That's too simple.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,275 Senior Member
    Some seem to want colleges to simply rank applicants by an index arrived at by combining SAT/ACT and GPA (taking into account rigor) and admitting 1-X based on that index score.

This would be a lot closer to how the rest of the world does college admissions, which often doesn't consider at all or gives much less weight to many factors important in US holistic admissions. Cambridge doesn't care if you're a legacy or a star athlete.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.