Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Here’s The Amount of Money Colleges Make from Rejected Applications

2»

Replies to: Here’s The Amount of Money Colleges Make from Rejected Applications

• tula32tula32 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Some colleges don't charge fees, and their application numbers don't go up all that much. It takes time to write a good application, and most students do value their time during senior year. I doubt that anyone would write a ton of applications just for fun or to see if they get in.
  • WISdad23WISdad23 Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    I have no problem with colleges making money.

However, with highly selective schools that brag they could fill themselves twice over with valedictorians and such I wonder what is the purpose of the rigamarole. The idea that they are "crafting" an ideal class is about like Paul Masson serving no wine before its time. The school could simply throw darts at the top half of its applicant pool and be fine. Why labor over the essays, recommendations, etc? It is splitting hairs. I do feel sorry for the student applicants who pour themselves into the process.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 19,619 Super Moderator
    "The school could simply throw darts at the top half of its applicant pool and be fine."

They really are crafting a class to maintain their culture and reputations. Random isn't good enough.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,011 Senior Member
    That "gross profit" number is extremely misleading as it doesn't reflect the expenses involved.
  • pdlhaenepdlhaene Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    What a click bait.. this is misleading
2»