Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I'm depressed that my friend got into Columbia and I did not

13»

Replies to: I'm depressed that my friend got into Columbia and I did not

• roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    I do wish parents would stop pretending an applicant working for a Congressman or senator has engaged in some extraordinary EC. He hasn't. Those high school internships are arranged by parents and given to either politically connected or wealthy donors. Always. I'm not criticising; I actually arranged one for my own child. And I had one myself as a student. And i worked in a congressional office giving them. But I don't pretend it is anything more than a sign of parental privilege.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    There are two things being discussed. It's my belief that having a hook puts you into a smaller pool for selection. That makes it easier for certain things to stand out within that pool. To say the individuals URM status had no affect is probably naive. Had he not been a URM I predict that his ECs would not have been enough to sway Columbia to accept him. He simply would have been lost among the thousands of other applicants with excellent ECs. On the other hand his getting selected had zero bearing on the OP not being selected. Columbia is awash in great applications. Even if the OP had been a URM they likely have a number of high performing URMs. What is done is done. It won't be changed. We can be happy for the individual who was accepted and hope he will be successful at Columbia. We can wish the OP the best and hope he lives up to what he has currently accomplished.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,760 Senior Member
    A "senator's office in our state," "an internship the summer after junior year in the senator's office in D.C." and "worked on a campaign" are no small potatoes. I'd be curious to know if this one wants a poli sci major or something similar. Many kids expressing an interest like that never get off their duffs, not even in the past election season, full of opportunities. It would help even a "a white, wealthy suburban male."

Quite different than the old, "I founded a club!" or some of the other things that impress in the high school but don't stand out to Ivy adcoms. Eg, "My Passions!"

I don't get putting down the kid who did get in. But frankly, nor suggesting it was some hard luck tale, "extenuating circumstances," seemingly, just because OP said this one is Black.

And so what if the GC was off? That lends no credence. He or she may be a usual, poorly informed type who thought it would all be about stats. Lol.
  • csdad2csdad2 Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    No surprise, there are many problems with the attitude of the OP and some of the replies in this thread. But I just wanted to comment on one thing. Some people think of "being black" as just another single aspect of someone's application, just one little checkbox. The thing is, it almost always impacts their entire life up to this point -- affecting their grades, their test scores, and most likely other things, like what ECs and how many they are involved in. Saying something like "my GPA and test scores were much better, but he's black" reveals very simplistic and invidious reasoning. Yeah, race can be overused or misused in evaluating college applications, but in general I don't see anything wrong with colleges using it in a holistic fashion.
  • PasadenadadPasadenadad Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I question the authenticity of this post.
  • PasadenadadPasadenadad Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I suspect Fake News
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,856 Senior Member
    Doesn't matter anyway, OP hasn't been back since they posted. Just shouting into the void at this point.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,195 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Closing thread. There seems nothing left to say, and since the OP has not returned, I'm calling this a hit-and-run posting
13»
This discussion has been closed.