Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Hey colleges! Here are 4 questions to answer before parents ship their kids off to you

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,280 Senior Member
"- The application and acceptance/rejection process has nothing to do with education anymore.
- It's time for colleges to apply to students and their parents, not the other way around.
- Here's a 4-question application colleges should have to complete for us." ...

Commentary.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/21/colleges-should-apply-to-us-commentary.html

Replies to: Hey colleges! Here are 4 questions to answer before parents ship their kids off to you

• wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,862 Senior Member
    Great link! Thanks for posting
  • GoNoles85GoNoles85 Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    Q4 will you let them fail? Like its the colleges fault the students fail? That was a dumb question and yes I did read the author's reason for asking it but still think it is a dumb question. Other than that, good idea. It will never happen. Why should the colleges upset their money making market? They have no incentive to do so.
  • ekdad212ekdad212 Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    Cute idea, but the premise is fatally flawed. Yes, some of us pay $250-300K for our child's education, but that doesn't mean we are the customer. As long as a degree from a premium college still leads to a better life, it is the student that must compete for the best college, not the other way around.
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Colleges are competing. Its the reason for the glossy brochures and websites and building crazes going on across the country on college campuses.
  • mohammadmohd18mohammadmohd18 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 26
    ...it is the student that must compete for the best college, not the other way around.
    Colleges already compete furiously. The only plausible explanation for why kids receive huge, thick, brochures from NYU made with expensive cardstock and constant emails from the Ivies and obscure LACs is for colleges to game the USNWR rankings.
  • DaveMcBobDaveMcBob Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    In a surprising twist, Millennials think it is all about them.
    M: Tell me why I should go here.
    C: Uh, we have 10-20x more applicants than we accept, and a ton are just as qualified, so we are fine if you don't.
    M: Ok, but tell me why I should go here and make me feel special.
    C: Next!
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    Cute idea, but the premise is fatally flawed. Yes, some of us pay $250-300K for our child's education, but that doesn't mean we are the customer. As long as a degree from a premium college still leads to a better life, it is the student that must compete for the best college, not the other way around.
    I think you have this backwards. There are three steps in the college process, and students control two of them.

1. Colleges compete for student applications.
    2. Students compete for admission.
    3. Colleges compete for admitted students to attend (except for ED students of course).

The competition for student applications, and for admitted students to attend, is just as fierce among the most elite colleges as it is among lower ranked colleges.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 3,703 Senior Member
    As hard as some schools make it to turn down their offer and don't stop the pressure to enroll with them, definitely competing for admitted students to commit.
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,010 Senior Member
    I agree the competition for the students is steep and I think will only get steeper as the bubble has burst...there are going to be less applicants overall since many/most baby boomer children are done applying. We aren't seeing this at the top schools as much yet, but I think it's coming.
  • InvParentInvParent Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    The real problem is colleges no believe kids don't need parents. This experience is with University of Washington, Seattle. As a parent this school deems us unnecessary and I have run into stonewalling at every turn. Their approach is arrogant and you are reminded always that your student is an "Adult". At orientation students were in one auditorium, parents in another while they tried to convince my student she should change her major! I ended up having to hire an attorney to execute Powers of Attorney, Medical and Financial, HIPPA and FERPA releases. Even then I am only able to speak to low level admins or what appear to be interns; all with NO RESULTS, no empathy and no help. In fact, mostly I am condescended to or lectured and yesterday berated by one of their paralegals. The Greek system is part of the University and not part of it when it is not convenient. My daughter was fed Grain Alcohol at a Frat party, and same goes for the ER at UW Medical center where to date doctors will not speak to myself or my daughter after treating her, ignoring me even with a HIPPA release in place. This isn't all and she has only been there since September. Figure out how they will deal with you the parent and that would be of my most concern, we are now trying to figure out what to do. It has been a nightmare.
  • curiouscollege1curiouscollege1 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I love these articles, because they're usually written as you see, by some pretentious person, who went to an Ivy League school, in this case, Columbia University and then got an advance degrees and never and who's parents did non of the the things professed in the article except pay the tuition bill when it came. LOVE, LOVE, these articles