Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Do I need to worry about my Spanish grade if I want to do engineering in college?

pongoponpongopon Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I'm a freshman and lately I have been very stressed about my Spanish grade. I was wondering if that will affect my chances in getting into a good college, where I want to focus on engineering. The rest of my grades are high A's, but my Spanish grade keeps changing between a 90 percent and an 89. If I don't get an A, I will lose my 4.0 GPA. Will this majorly affect my chances of getting accepted to a good college?

Replies to: Do I need to worry about my Spanish grade if I want to do engineering in college?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,751 Senior Member
    edited May 19
    Good college, no problem. Very good college or very good university for STEM, still no problem.

For Harvard or Stanford, maybe, or maybe not. It is hard to know. However, Harvard and Stanford are a very long shot for everyone, including students who have straight A+'s. Personally I wouldn't go to Harvard for engineering anyway.

Do as well as you can, and don't worry about it.

Does your high school give you a 4.0 if you have a grade of 90?
  • pongoponpongopon Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    My high school does give a 4.0 for a 90 percent
  • pongoponpongopon Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,730 Senior Member
    It depends on what schools you will apply. However, one isse is how sure you can improve your grade in the higher level of Spanish? Most good schools require at least 2 years of FL, some even recommend 4 years. So the impact may be more than just one lower grade. Even for engineering schools that do not require FL in college, you still need to fulfill their admission requirement. One way to get around this problem is to take it somewhere like a CC over the summer that it will fulfill the requirement but not be factored in your HS GPA.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,251 Senior Member
    edited May 20
    OP is in 9th grade. And worrying about the diff between a 90 and an 89....

And doesn't realize top colleges don't admit based on GPA, but look at the transcript, itself, plus much more. (Ok, some 'good' publics may need a top GPA. But c'mon, you're only a shade off 4.0. And as you know, it's Spanish.)

So your time is better spent doing your best, planning the next 2.5 years, and learning what 'good' colleges really look for. On your own, first, not asking a forum.

Even S can take a bright, aware, well prepped (incl ECs) stem kid who, omg, omg got an 89 in FL in 9th. OP needs the right perspective, an idea what matters most.

Miles to go.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    This is not a problem. Please don't be one of those people that posts next year with the common thread title of "I got a B in____, am I doomed?" Sheesh.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,730 Senior Member
    When a student focus too much on GPA 4.0, it may affect the course selection in high school. It would be said if one would not challenge himself/herself in course rigor solely for maintaining GPA 4.0. Each college put different weight of GPA, course rigor, test score, etc in their "holistic" admission process. It may not be wise by focusing on GPA particularly in early high school. If OP is interested in Engineering, focus more in Math track but make sure you comply with the HS course requirement of each potential target college. On the safe side, have 4 years of each 4 cores (FL is considered the 5th core sometimes).