Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How important is my current college

Herokid11Herokid11 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
Something I can't seem to find the answer for is how important my current School will be on my transfer application. Obviously, my CC won't carry as much weight as someone transferring from an Ivy league but will it hurt me if it's a really low ranked school? (I go there because it's really cheap) I would like to transfer to a top 20 Engineering school I'll probably graduate with a 3.85 will this make up for my school being a low ranked school? (For reference on it's approximate rank niche.com ranks it at around 1400 out of 1600)

Replies to: How important is my current college

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 856 Member
    There are a LOT of very good engineering schools. You can try for top 20, but I would expect that there are students with straight A's in CC (4.00 GPA) trying to transfer to the same top 20 schools. You need to look at top 100 or top 200 engineering schools. You can do very well with a degree from a top 200 engineering school.

What state are you from? How much can you (or your parents) afford for university? You will want to consider your in-state options.

How are your grades in math and science classes?

I haven't heard anyone say "this community college is better than that community college". I doubt one CC versus another will matter much. Perhaps other's can help in this area.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 15,077 Senior Member
    Cast a wide net in terms of where you apply. Try for a few of the top schools, but also understand that if you get into an accredited engineering program you should be just fine.
  • Herokid11Herokid11 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @DadTwoGirls Thanks for replying. And I'm Florida, so I'm more realistically aiming for UF, as they have articulation agreements that favor CC transfers. My math and sciences are mostly A's with a B. I'm an independent student so money is pretty tight. I was wondering from this thread which schools should I apply to as reach, targets, and safety based on my GPA and current school.

@happy1 thanks for your reply. I understand any accredited program is awesome, but i would like to know where i could reasonably expect to land myself.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,137 Senior Member
    edited May 19
    Community colleges don't play the rankings games and are rarely ranked at all. Talk to your transfer adviser about where students from your school are admitted.

A friend of mine has a son who moved from (dual-enrollment) CC to Caltech. The kid had accomplishments outside the CC transcript (math and robotics related), but the CC clearly didn't disqualify him. Niche gives the school a B- overall and a C+ for academics.

My daughter's CC (not too far away) gets a C- for academics on niche and regularly gets kids into the state flagship school, including the impacted majors.

I agree with applying widely - reach, match, safety. Be sure to do a couple schools in your state system: there are often slots reserved for in-state CC transfers.