Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

5 Types of People You Can Meet on a Summer College Visit

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
... "Prospective students might encounter undergraduate researchers on campus during the summer ... Costas Solomou, dean of undergraduate admissions at George Washington University in the District of Columbia, says the admissions office tries to accommodate every student or parent request for an on-campus meeting, no matter which season they're visiting.

'In my office we never say no, essentially, to any request,' he says.

Here are five types of people prospective students and parents can try to connect with when touring a college or university in the summer." ...

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2017-06-30/5-types-of-people-you-can-meet-on-a-summer-college-visit

Replies to: 5 Types of People You Can Meet on a Summer College Visit

• JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    We have a tour at Georgetown set up this week; close, but no cigar!
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 834 Member
    Its also useful to see who else is applying to the college you are touring, and often one can learn a lot from other participants on the tour. We talk to other students over lunch and that can be helpful. Often they have different information than the campus tour guides or administrators. Its rare to meet professors on college tours. The tour guides are hired for their enthusiasm, and have a script, and that script sounds the same after a while "small class size", "fun parties". "great traditions", "great academics".
    so those tours are only good to get orientated then, its best to hang out in the on campus cafeteria and talk to other students. The summers may be active at larger universities,but even liberal arts colleges, someone will be there to talk with thats not a tour guide, with a script in his or her head.
    Sometimes its useful to talk with, for instance, the bookstore sales people or locals about the college too. One finds out about the greater community where the college resides by doing that.
  • nugraddadnugraddad Registered User Posts: 1,212 Senior Member
    My kids have had great success taking the general tour - and then meeting with the department / professor / coach after the general meeting.

It was helpful that at one school, the department meeting talk was so boring and bad that the school was immediately crossed off the list afterwords. It was also helpful in narrowing choices when my D attended an admitted students day - and her hosts cut the class she wanted to go to!

Final decision was helped after spending a day sitting in on classes - and the resulting "Yes! I Can do this!"
  • FinalForFinalFor Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    We've done Kenyon and Oberlin this summer. Despite school not being in session there were still plenty of people around one could chat with. I feel like we got a good overview of each school. Equal to the tours we've done while school was in session.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,375 Senior Member
    The tour at the school D chose was in summer. Our guide was on campus doing research in a science lab.