Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

How Universal College Admission Tests Help Low-Income Students

2»

Replies to: How Universal College Admission Tests Help Low-Income Students

• EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Oh, its possible. This is my adjusted rate after insurance. Prior to the ACA I did not pay anything. Prior to the ACA I had reasonable co-pays for all of my medical appointments. When you hear on the news that some are paying sky high deductibles, premiums and are now spending huge amounts of their incomes on healthcare - its true! And everyone in Washington just went home rather than fix this. Unfortunately colleges also aren't asking how much we are spending on health insurance and healthcare costs - we qualify for nothing there either. It's great fun.
  • Studious99Studious99 Registered User Posts: 710 Member
    @Empireapple Maybe some students do improve with a lot of prep, but Collegeboard reports that SAT scores only increase a small amount after prep. A motivated student with Internet access can improve just as much with Khan Academy. Anyways, low income students should be smart enough to just do well their first or second time. It isn't rocket science.
  • CottonTalesCottonTales Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    edited July 29
    This may not be a popular stance, but how about "one and done." Prep for your test, take practice tests to get the format and timing down and then take it. Students don't retake (for the most part) AP or IB tests, and your HS teacher doesn't let you retake tests multiple times till you are satisfied with your results. I see students here on CC that retake the SAT or ACT multiple times, often asking how can they only submit their best score to schools that require all tests to be reported. Well, duh. If you take the test 5 times, you may get lucky on one of them with a decent score increase. That still doesn't make that student smarter, it just makes them a test grind. And as to the OP, schools have a responsibility to let low income students know about fee waivers.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 24,463 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    I don't want to participate in your debate,
    And yet you did.
    I apologize for this tangent and I won't respond to it again
    And yet you did - 9 times !!!!

18 posts deleted. When the thread devolves into a debate of the genetics of racehorses, the time has come to close
2»
This discussion has been closed.