Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Summer Programs?

collegehelp1010collegehelp1010 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
Hi!
I'm currently a rising sophomore and I was wondering about summer programs such as SSP (Summer Science Program). Have any of you guys gotten into SSP as a sophomore and if so, what were your stats (post below please)! How many sophomores on average are accepted into SSP and what gives me a chance in being accepted?

Thanks!!!

Replies to: Summer Programs?

• gkdudtlffjgkdudtlffj Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    edited July 18
    Hello,

I am currently a rising junior and I applied last year. I got rejected. One of my friends went to SSP two years ago and he said that there was only a single sophomore out of 30 students. SSP believes that you are more prepared junior year compared to sophomore year (obviously) and if sophomores are selected, an equally qualified junior cannot attend.

Stats:
    PSAT: 1410
    SAT 2 Biology E: 800
    SAT 2 Math 2: 800
    AP Biology 4

My course load for Freshmen year was AP Calculus AB, AP Seminar, AP Human Geography, AP Biology, and Chinese
    For my current sophomore year is AP Calculus BC, Honors English 10, AP World History, and AP Chemistry, and Chinese 2.

Tl;dr
    1-2 sophomores accepted each other.
    If you want to get in, you must have a REALLY good reason why you can't attend junior year and HAVE to attend sophomore year. (For ex. You have an ill disease and only have an year to live)
    So basically your chance of getting accepted is pretty low. But I would apply regardless