Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Schedule conflict

Vortex2Vortex2 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm an incoming sophomore in a competitive high school. I have a 4.0 weighted and 4.79 unweighted GPA. I am trying to decide whether I should continue to take band or take a class called independent research. Here are the pros to each class

Band:

It will be easier to maintain my 4.0 bcuz band is an easier class

Band and Independent Research are both 5.0 classes, and since band is easier, I'm getting the same GPA for less effort

I am passionate about my instrument and want to continue it through high school to demonstrate my commitment and dedication

Independent Research:

Independent research is a class that makes ur transcript stand out because independent research sounds compelling

If i don't take independent research now, i won't be able to do it until 12th grade because 11th grade is tough with all the AP classes and standardized tests going on.

Anyways, bottom line, I'm scared that I might lose the 4.0 if i take Independent research because its a lot of work

How would each choice effect my college admissions?

Replies to: Schedule conflict

• SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 1,184 Senior Member
    independent research sounds compelling<<<<<<<<<

What does it actually mean? For example, in my kids school it is a study period. Define research.
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Registered User Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    Do band. You enjoy it, and it's not worth dropping it for what sounds like an independent study.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,575 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    Take band now and independent research in the 12th grade.
    You love your instrument and research done in senior year will be taken more seriously than in the 10tg grade.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    Unless you play the tuba or French horn, chances of making good on band are slim. I would find a way to play your instrument outside of school, so you can still add all the years of studying to your activities. I'd take the research. You only have grades 9,10 and 11 to put on your common app if you are applying (and most do) ED 1.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,261 Super Moderator
    edited July 17
    How would each choice effect my college admissions?
    Admissions won't care which one you take, so take the one that interests you more.
    You only have grades 9,10 and 11 to put on your common app if you are applying (and most do) ED 1.
    OP has not indicated a target school, so while there may be a college that is an exception, most applicants do not apply ED. Regardless, while the grades received in the Fall of Senior year will not be a part of the admissions decision for applicants applying ED, the classes taken that year most certainly appear on the Common App.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    okay, maybe the students at my kids' BS is an exception to the general rule. At least 60 -80 % there apply ED or SCEA.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,108 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    A few comments:
    --Don't obsess about keeping a 4.0
    --If you are passionate about your instrument I'd probably stick with band.
    --Plus it isn't a bad idea to keep band as a break from what sounds like a rigorous schedule.
    --Nothing wrong (IMO) with waiting until 12th grade to do independent research.