Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Awards Category

SREE33SREE33 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited August 12 in Common Application
So on my UC/Common App, I won awards twice (2 years in a row) for Science Olympiad and School Academics Award.
Would I list my Science Olympiad Team 3rd place only once on the application- and say on bottom I also won last year,
Or put it as 2 seperate awards? Is that cheating?
Post edited by skieurope on

Replies to: Awards Category

• pkchamp89pkchamp89 Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    @SREE33 it's not cheating if you won the award twice. Is there space to list the award and then say the years you won it and how you placed without listing it two separate times? Are they two different awards? If they are separate, list each award separately and the years/ place you won.
  • itsintheprocessitsintheprocess Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    ^^ if you won the same award in different years they still count as two separate awards so list them twice.
  • SREE33SREE33 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    So my team won the same award (3rd place Invitationals for Science Olympiad) this year and last year.
    So do I put that in twice?
    On the UC App you can only put in 1 single year, so should I put in the award twice?

also is it good to put in awards like Honor Roll and AP scholar, or are they 2 basic?
  • itsintheprocessitsintheprocess Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @SREE33 Yes you would enter that team award twice ie ( 3rd place Invitational 2016. and 3rd place invitational 2017)

I didn't put AP scholar (honestly because I forgot it was thing) but if you want put it. Had I remembered last year I would've put it.
    u guys were helpful thanks
    u guys think these are solid awards for UCs

Science Olympiad Invitational 3rd- 2016
    Science Olympiad Invitational 3rd- 2017
    Achievement Award in Math -2016
    Achievement Award in Math -2016
    AP Scholar

also is it better to put AP scholar than something like School Honor Roll?
  • WillowMomWillowMom Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Where do awards go on the common app this year? In the past they had their own tab. At first glance it looks like they might go under activities but the character limit does not leave enough room for a description of the activity and a listing of the award. Help?!?!
  • WillowMomWillowMom Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    To clarify, I am referring to non-academic awards (i.e. Service awards)
    edited August 17
    i think under honors (i dont it matters whether they are service or not)
    i know there is like no space due to character limit so just write as less as possible