Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Naviance - Tricks, traps and insights

13»

Replies to: Naviance - Tricks, traps and insights

• itsintheprocessitsintheprocess Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    @twinsmama there are other websites you can use that provide scattergrams,but I'm nor sure how accurate they are as people just input their information into a database, which means anyone can type in random stats and say they were accepted. I still think it's a good general site to get an idea but just be wary of some stats that seem to good to be true http://www.collegedata.com/cs/search/college/college_search_tmpl.jhtml
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 487 Member
    @itsintheprocess - ignoring accuracy, the lack of comparability of the data makes them useless for a personal assessment of potential success. The best thing about the Naviance scattergrams is that they are kids from the same system, so their successes and failures are very aligned to yours. It is far from perfect, but it is the best source of quick assessment.

@twinsmama - Maybe it's temporary?
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    @EyeVeee Let's hope so...maybe they are working on adding last year's grads?
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 879 Member
    I have learned a few things about Naviance that could be helpful to others.

First, the GPAs in the scattergrams are "as of graduation." Many seniors get a GPA boost senior year from AP classes, so bear that in mind when comparing the scattergram GPAs with your own end-of-junior-year GPA.

Also, if you are applying to small colleges with insufficient data points from your high school, see if your college counselor can access them for the entire county. We were able to get more data that way.

Finally, when looking at a Naviance scattergram that is very crowded and hard to read, note that you can click on the graph "key" to eliminate all the Denials so you can just see the Acceptances. I forget exactly where to click, but it's below the graph where it tells you which color dot corellates to which status.
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    @prodesse does Naviance plots super scores or single seating?
  • momzhoodmomzhood Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    @am9799: At my kids' HS, each ACT composite went in as received. One kid took it twice and I saw the first composite in Naviance (I think we informed GC of the result) and then the new composite after he took it again (a state-required sitting at the HS). So no super-scoring here, but I imagine they would use the highest composite.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 879 Member
    @am9799: I don't know about the SATs. Both of my kids took it once only.
  • citivascitivas Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    For our school it just uses one score, not a composite. I have not tested it enough to know if it's picking the best score or the latest submitted score. Also, scores have to be student-submitted so the data for scores is probably less comprehensive than the GPA data which the school automatically maintains.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    I think you really need to ask your specific school how they do it. Naviance is very customizable from school to school.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    edited October 12
  • citivascitivas Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    While we're on the submit, anyone else notice the contradictory data on Naviance with the newer UI they adopted lats year? You can see what should be similar data on both the Overview page if you scroll down to the "Test Scores and GPA Range" and select "Your High School's Ranges" or if you go to the Admissions tab and click on the scattergram data which shows a line converging on the average GPA and test score. In our case, the GPA's are radically different and as best as I can tell they are showing the average UW GPA on the Overview page and the average weighted GPA on the scattergram. But that doesn't explain why sometimes the average ACT or SAT scores are also different between the two pages.
13»