Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Tips For Applying To A Reach School

co18beachco18beach Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
Im applying to a reach school in which my GPA is relatively below average however, my ACT is above average. I have very good ECs and essays/recommendations. I was just wondering if any of you have any advice or knowledge from previous experiences when applying to reach schools. Thank you so much! Anything helps!

Replies to: Tips For Applying To A Reach School

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,062 Senior Member
    I would say run the NPC and see if you can afford it even if you do get in, don't have your heart set on it and carefully consider other options, give it a try, and good luck!
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,783 Senior Member
    Do your best and expect the worst.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,619 Senior Member
    It's important to understand that students who have a below-average GPA are probably hooked or have a compelling story. Athletes, legacies, URMs might have lower than average GPAs. If you are a ORM from a suburban competitive high school, the odds are even more against you. Be sure to have match and safety schools that you like and can afford.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,336 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    Be very meticulous with your app. It needs to be spotless in terms of no errors, tell a consistent story across the app (example -- hopefully your rec letters paint a similar picture to the one you are trying to show in your essays, EC order, etc), and focus carefully on fit in any supplemental essays (what do you bring to the college and what specifically is appealing to you). Have all components in on time. Write a common app essay that stands out and makes them want you on campus. If you have significant accomplishments that happen after you send in the app, email admissions with a summary of them.

As mentioned above, don't lose your focus on your match and safety schools. You can do all those things, and your odds are still much higher that you will end up at one of those.
  • quietdesperationquietdesperation Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    edited September 20
    My middle child also had an sat score that was stronger than his gpa. As intparent suggested, he wrote a seamless application which told his unique story. the first step is to sit down and figure out (write down) your unique story (everyone has one) and what you want to say about yourself. From there, ensure every common app answer and every essay tells your story.

my S was admitted to every school to which he applied, including reaches.

good luck!
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,072 Senior Member
    Know that it is a long shot but give it your all.
    --If the school values demonstrated interest (google the college's common data set and look at section C) then try to visit or at least contact an admission officer with a question that can't be answered by looking at the website.
    --If interviews are available try to arrange for one.
    --If the school has a supplemental essay spend time to make it really good --- stress your understanding of the college and note any unique attributes you feel you can bring.

I'm all for giving a reach school a shot. But also be sure to have a solid list of match and safety schools that you would be happy to attend and that appear affordable.