Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The fallacy of the ED arguement

Replies to: The fallacy of the ED arguement

• pkchamp89pkchamp89 Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    I do think being a legacy helps with ED admits but not as much as it seems. It often gives a leg up not a leg in. The applicant still has to meet the basic standards of the college or university.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,616 Senior Member
    Yes, but at many schools if they want that leg up for being a legacy, they have to apply ED, and in doing so they give up the opportunity to compare FA packages.

Each applicant has to make the decision of what is most important to him - the boost ED may give, the ability to compare offers, the help from the coach, Questbridge or another program. There just isn't one right path.
  • pkchamp89pkchamp89 Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    Unfortunately, colleges and universities are still businesses. ED allows them to lock down guaranteed funds and eliminates some of the uncertainty that waiting on the RD applicants creates.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,169 Senior Member
    So if I understand this correctly, the fallacy that the OP is claiming only applies to about 20 top schools in the country. Is he still conceding that it is not a fallacy for the vast majority of schools and students?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    "Unfortunately, colleges and universities are still businesses. ED allows them to lock down guaranteed funds and eliminates some of the uncertainty that waiting on the RD applicants creates."

Exactly. More leverage and less risk for them, which means more risk and less leverage for the consumer - the applicant.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,260 Senior Member
    @me29034 Maybe, just because the college doesn't advertise it will meet financial need doesn't mean it won't. So the final decision is always left to the applicant as to whether the FA is enough. Also I don't believe in paying the premium on the tuition unless the school has an exceptional cohort, but that is another thread.
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,957 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    When colleges like Chicago accept a HUGE percentage of applicants ED and ED2, there are alot less spots for the rest of us.
    In the corner of the private school world I know best, the vast majority of the kids apply early somewhere, often ED. They're better prepared than the average applicant (due to that private school education and the opportunities it affords them), they have savvy college counselors who advise them that statistically they get an edge from applying early, and generally their families can afford to send them wherever they want to go. So they apply early to their top choice, and if they get in, they're generally done. They enjoy the rest of their senior year, take a fancy vacation over spring break with their similarly-fortunate friends, chill over the summer in some nice locale and roll off to college, ready to begin the next phase of their ascension to America's cognitive elite uberclass

^^^My kids (school) experience exactly! If you know you're going to full pay (which wealthy students do) you really take advantage of ED.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    If the Common App was dropped and kids had to fill out individual applications, this silliness would end. An app that requires a decent amount of work shows interest. If the US News rankings didn't matter to the schools, that would help as well. For the colleges, it's all about yield. They want kids who want to go there. When I was at Northwestern, there were kids there moaning that they didn't get into Stanford, Brown, etc., and that was a bummer since NU was my first choice. So, I understand why schools want kids who want them but there has to be a fairer way.

Why should our kids have to decide so early where their "favorite" school is? I swear our S19 is changing rapidly. The school he may like the best in Oct may not be the best school for him in April. So, we will not have him apply anywhere ED. And he will show as much love as possible to all of his RD schools that track interest. It will be a lot more work but what's the alternative? A few of his schools interview and I'm tossing around the idea of him telling the interviewer that his parents won't let him ED anywhere. If he really, truly has a perfect fit then he will tell the interviewer the school is his first choice. Of course, I will only let him do that if it's true.

And I cannot stand that kids sometimes use ED as a leg up to a school they haven't visited or researched. Hopefully, those kids get rejected. It's become a game. Trying to figure out where to ED has become less about applying to your favorite school and just applying to the one that takes the largest percentage of kids ED to increase the student's chances.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    @suzyQ7 We will be full pay but we don't know that we will have to pay that. S19 is applying to a number of schools that give merit. So, we'd like to decide after RD and see where all of the chips fall. Full price for X-school versus a little money at Y-school. Maybe we end up choosing X-school, but we want to have the chance to make that decision.
  • turtle17turtle17 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I'm curious whether the effect described above "When I was at Northwestern, there were kids there moaning that they didn't get into Stanford, Brown, etc., and that was a bummer since NU was my first choice." has really changed with ED. From what I can tell, a lot of ED kids are like, well NU (or Penn or Chicago, or any of the other heavy users of ED) was the best place I thought I had a good shot at with ED. Wasn't wiling to risk HYPSM, didn't think that would work ,etc. Maybe just eliminating applying to other places straight out lessens the effect, and creates more of a psychology of choosing the ED school, even if under the threat of not getting in if you don't do ED.
    I'm against ED because I think many kids change too much from Sep of senior year of HS to August of the start of college, and delaying the decision until April or May can be a big difference. I may be either a dinosaur in persisting in this view, or not fully appreciating how sophisticated the elite kids filling up the ED slots are.
  • luloobeeluloobee Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    @homerdog Your post, #24, could have been exactly describing my son and our thoughts--each school he visits is the new "favorite", albeit they are similar, semi-rural LAC or smaller universities. It would be a disservice to him to apply ED anywhere.

To further your point, we qualify as Full-Pay also---(I still shake my head at that ---but my thoughts digress). Although ED may be a "leg up" I can't help think that being "Full Pay" that has to be a leg up in the RD round for some of these schools where you are an academic match and have good ECs. Also, if you are Full Pay, why not to see the choices laid out in March. Except for super-selecitves, and the "big names"---- I imagine it's a buyers market right now for the Full Pays.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,865 Senior Member
    I have heard that one of the reasons that Northwestern went to ED, was exactly what @turtle17 was alluding too. That a chunk of kids who ended up there were disappointed not to be somewhere else, so by using ED, they insure they have a lot of kids who really want to be there and love the school. That can really impact the vibe of the school for the better.
    Conversely, I heard an admissions director at a LAC say there is a higher % of kids transferring out that had gotten in at the ED round.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,865 Senior Member
    I think a big big part of what drives ED, is that for kids who are aiming for top tier schools, they see the admit rates getting lower and lower every year, and that especially for an unhooked kid, makes them very nervous. ED is a way for them to slightly improve their chances