Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Issues with extracurriculars and study periods

Wca202Wca202 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm currently a sophomore in high school in a kind of rural area. Freshman year I took 5 honors classes and gym and a school required class. My unweighted GPA for the year was a 4.0. This year I am following the same class pattern, even though I have the opportunity to take an extra elective for the second half of the year.
My first question is, should I take a cp elective instead of a study period if it doesn't interest me?
Second, should I self study AP gov this year since my school doesn't offer sophomore AP courses and I have a strong background in political knowledge?

Third, I am having extreme trouble with extracurriculars. Both of my parents work full time far from the school and it is virtually impossible for me to get home after the buses leave. Freshman year I was only able to be class president and a member of student council, as well as continue the private piano lessons that I have been taking for years. This year I'm not sure I will be able to do much more except maybe starting to play tennis in the spring or joining math team. I know that I can't save everything for Junior and senior year to get into a competitive school, but I sincerely don't know what to do until I can drive. To top it off, my school is small and has no model un or debate club, which I would love to participate in. The latter was attempted to be created but my school is so small that there weren't enough students to participate in it.
Are there credible extracurricular activities having to do with debate/international subjects/politics that are online and don't require other students from my school's involvement? I just need some guidance on solving this problem.