Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I use up all 10 spots on common app?

kjake2000kjake2000 Registered User Posts: 848 Member
I have 8 spots filled up, do you think its necessary to include all 10? I have stuff to include like some sports I have been a part of, but I never started and am not being recruited. Should I include anything else? Is it looked down upon to not fill up 10 spots?

Thanks

Replies to: Should I use up all 10 spots on common app?

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,187 Senior Member
    It's not a problem not to fill all ten slots.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,466 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    You certainly don't need to fill up all 10 spots but if you have something interesting to put in why not? It won't make or break your application but consider if including the sport might show another side of your personality and additional involvement in your school.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,767 Super Moderator
    Is it looked down upon to not fill up 10 spots?
    No. You should fill in as many as are meaningful to put your application in context. More ≠ better in all cases. For an athletic recruit, they may only fill in one. For myself, I think I filled in 5. Do what works for you, but don't fill in space just to fill in space.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,637 Senior Member
    My kids filled in 10 plus listed a couple more in Additional Info. They went to a small school where kids were encouraged to do a lot of ECs, and also had a lot of interesting summer activities that added up. These were rules they used:
    - Include anything related to potential major or essay topic, no matter what year in HS they did it.
    - Include anything where they or the team they were on won something of significance, no matter what year.
    - Include anything unusual/interesting -- maybe different from what others might have (in a good way), no matter what year.
    - Include everything participated in from junior year or later -- things from before that which didn't meet the criteria above were dropped.