Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

If I could change one thing....

Replies to: If I could change one thing....

• outastate75450outastate75450 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    I would change my school's coursebook to offer APs. Not that I care; I got in where I wanted. I just hope I'm not behind next year...
  • madjoymadjoy Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    Definitely grades/GPA/rank as well. I surely have slacked and not handed in important assignments, causing me to get Bs in a LOT of my AP classes. I'm talking Bs overall - Cs and even Ds in specific marking periods. Thankfully, the colleges didn't see that on my transcript. I'd get an A- one marking period, and a C- the next. I'm not kidding, that actually happened in more than one subject...

It's not that I regret it, so much, but rather that I wish this were not shown on my application so much. It's certainly my weak point. Ah, I got into my first choice school early anyway, so all's well! (Wesleyan University)
  • chelsea 2005chelsea 2005 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    after taking the poll i changed my mind! originally, i put "SAT/ACT scores", but now i realize that i did my best. i would like to put "Not a thing!" because my test scores are very good, just not perfect. and, i kind of wish i had applied to a harder "reach" school. i applied to notre dame, but i think it would have been interesting to apply to an ivy league. oh well!
  • chochu444chochu444 Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    if i cud change one thing, it wud definitely be my grades. just because of a C in A levels, i am ranked 21 in 84 which has hurt my chances badly. only if i had done better...
  • aliasdanceraliasdancer Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I put my SATs. stupid 1400 and 32.
  • allureNY86allureNY86 Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    okay, guys, colleges aren't looking for perfect people. why? because they don't exist!
  • jwlee8jwlee8 Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    the thing is..if u changed something then it wouldn't be you! it would be someone else! and that's meaningless
  • mhawk177mhawk177 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I said ECs.. I didn't really get involved until last year.. my junior year. But I was split between that and GPA (which suffered some due to my job, and in part due to my laziness)
  • JeldaJelda Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    I really regret my freshman year.. sigh
  • allureNY86allureNY86 Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    jwlee ... exactly! your uniqueness is the only thing you have, basically. and now it's too late to actually change things, but it's okay.
  • jwlee8jwlee8 Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    i think the most important thing is just doing your best and making sure you have your priorities straight
  • heefar7heefar7 Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    If I don't get in to where I really want to go I can always look back at about 5 B+'s that could of easily, eaaaaassiiillly been A-'s....my gpa could be so much higher!!!
  • doublespressodoublespresso Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    definitely fewer schools... i panicked at the beginning of senior year and put in 14 (!!!) transcript/SAT score requests--$140, + stamps and envelopes and things. i ended up sending out 12 of those 14, which at ~$65 per school is almost $800--except now i realized that i don't really want to go to most of those schools that badly. and there are a lot more things that i would have rather done with almost $1000... not to mention all the time and effort and headaches!
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Registered User Posts: 15,373 Senior Member
    I said gpa/grades, I went through a hard time last year, and it's very obvious in terms of my gpa. While my EC's are weak, I would rather have fun than be tied down by something I don't really care about. But then again, I'm a "what if.." kind of person
  • Diet Coke DrinkerDiet Coke Drinker Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I have no idea how to start a new thread on this site yet, so I'm going to post my question here. This isn't really a fresh topic for this site, but I was just wondering if some one could evaluate my chances at the schools I applied to (all RD).

Stats:

High School Transcript

3.8 unweighted
    No class rank - I go to a public high school that's lazy and won't rank :)
    SENIOR YEAR:
    APs: Euro, Calc AB, Chem, Bio
    Honors: Organic Chemistry, English IV
    Mid Year Grades: 5 A's, 1 B (Chemistry)

Test Scores:

690 (V)
    670 (M) * I am retaking in Jan. I feel special because it is the last normal SAT. lol, it sucks to have to do the writing, reading, and english all in one sitting. sorry juniors.
    Being realistic, I'd like to get over the 1400 bump, but we'll see...

SAT II Scores
    Writting: 730
    Math IC: 670
    Chemistry (I had only had less than 1/4 year of AP Chem when I took it) 660

My EC's are a stronger component of my application. They include the following:

9th
    JV Cheerleading
    Mini-Cheer Camp Counselor
    Semi-Dance Committee Chair

10th
    JV Cheerleading
    Mini-Cheer Camp Counselor
    Service Committee Chair
    Key Club member
    French Club member

11th
    Varsity Tennis Team (starting doubles player - undefeated record)
    Secretary of Student Council
    Coordinated Independent Service Project (4 hrs twice per month - I take 25 kids)
    Worked 15 wk at Abercrombie Kids (6 months)
    Service Committee (Student Council)
    Decorations Committee (Student Council)
    Key Club
    French Club
    National Junior Honor Society

11th-12th Summer
    Yale University Summer Program (Got a prof rec)

12th
    Stronger Involvements:

President of Student Council
    Coordinate Same Independent Project
    National Honors Society Social Chair
    Coordinate Dinners at Local Homeless Shelter (Bring about 8 kids from NHS)
    School District Board Representative
    Co-Founder and President of Badminton Club :)
    Marketing and Advertising Apprenticeship

Lesser Involvements:

Math Team
    Key Club
    Service Committee
    Dance Committee
    Decorations Committee

Awards

3-4 art awards (I was in art class from 9-11) I still paint, but on the side now.

Chosen as school's rep to state conference (1 of 2 out of 300)

First places in about 5 JV cheerleading comps (do these even matter since i was part of the team and i was not out there alone cheerleading?)

Honor Roll (how exciting) Scholar Athlete (A average and do a sport)

World Affairs Council Scholarship (awarded to 6)

Published writer (local magazine)

Hobbies:
    Dance
    Gymnastics
    Skiing
    Painting/Drawing
    Tennis

Letters of Recs
    **I've decided not to follow the style of some other "What are my chances" posters who declare they have "shining and outstanding" letters...

I read one which I liked and think does the job (AP EURO teacher also student council advisor - we're pretty close)
    Yale Prof - very encouraging
    Pre-Calc Teacher - I did very well in that class, but it was an honors course, so I don't think it carries as much weight as AP Euro. We became friends, so I think she had nice things to say:)

Go ahead, be honest - what do y'all think my chances are at the following colleges ( i applied to a ton)

University of Pittsburgh (Safety)
    UMass Amherst (other Safety)

Boston Unversity
    George Washington
    Richmond University
    Emory
    U Michigan Ann Arbob
    Northwestern
    Vassar
    Vanderbilt
    NYU

Middlebury
    Amherst
    Williams
    Wesleyan
    Wash U
    Pomona
    CMU

Cornell
    Yale
    UPenn

I'd be awesome to hear someone's opinion!! thanks kids.